Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you buy or sign-up through one of those links, you won’t pay a penny more but we’ll get a small commission that helps us in running this blog. Read the Disclosure page.
Have you ever encountered such problems where you clicked a link and it showed a 404 error?
I am pretty sure you have seen it either on your website or other websites.
Have you ever thought how does this happen and how it can be fixed?
What are the consequences of broken links on your website?
Well, all these questions will be answered here on this post.
Not only, I will teach you how to find them but also tell you a very simple method to fix them.
So, if you are really interested to know, then let’s just begin.
>>Read More: SEO Guide especially for beginners who have no idea
WHAT ARE BROKEN LINKS?
A broken/dead link is a link on a web page that no longer works because of the destination linked web page is either removed or its permalink is changed.
In such condition, it shows a 404 error page.
For example, If you linked your post-A with your post-B and somehow, you deleted or changed the permalink of post-B, then the link on post-A will show a 404 error.
Following is a 404 error from my blog. (My old blog design looks damn ugly 🙁 )
Every website experiences a few broken links which are normal. But an excess of them are dangerous and need to be fixed immediately.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOUR WEBSITE HAS BROKEN LINKS?
When the search engine bots crawl your website and encounter a broken link, the search bots treat it as a dead end.
What this does is tell the search engines that the usability on your site is poor which can hurt your SEO efforts for the long term.
Broken links can impact:
- Search engine rankings
- Disrupt your sites user experience
- lose in customers and revenue
That’s why it’s very important to fix them all.
HOW DO I FIND BROKEN LINKS (404 ERROR) IN WORDPRESS?
To find broken links, first, make sure you have signed up for Google Search Console. If you don‘t know how to do it, follow this guide.
Next, follow the below steps.
- Login to your Google search console (earlier webmaster) account.
- Click on your website URL to go to your dashboard.
- On the left-hand side, click Crawl > Crawl errors to view crawl errors or broken links.
- Here, you can find several broken links both from desktop & mobile. These are the links that must be fixed. (As a new user, you need to wait for few weeks to see these broken links)
HOW DO I FIX BROKEN LINKS IN WORDPRESS?
Now there are many methods to fix this problem. But I use a simple method using a WordPress plugin “Redirection”.
You can follow the below steps to fix your broken links using this method.
- Install “Redirection“ & activate it.
- Click on the settings to go to its setting page.
- Here, click on the “Redirects” option to go to the redirection page.
- Now click ”Add New” button to open redirection options.
- Copy your broken link from Google search console and paste it on the source URL text box.
- Now insert the new URL (where you want to redirect it) on the Target URL text box to redirect it.
- Change Group option to Redirections & click Add Redirect button. Your broken link will now show the Target URL.
CONCLUSION – HOW TO FIND BROKEN LINKS ON WORDPRESS
This is how I fix my broken links and I do this every week just to make sure my broken links are fixed. I found this plugin method quite easy & convenient.
Now, after fixing all your broken links, you will observe that bots can now crawl more web pages from your website which is a good sign.
That is it. If you think this post is helpful then please share & pin it.
You Might Also Like This
- Best On-Page SEO techniques you need to implement
- Dofollow & Nofollow backlinks – Simple Explanation