This post contains Affiliate Links. For more info, you can check out my Affiliate Disclosure page.
Have you ever encountered such problems when you clicked your page link and it shows you a 404 error?
If yes, then there might be one or more problems linked to it. One of the problems which I am going to discuss here is broken links.
Now broken links need to be solved by the website owner himself. If your website has a lot of broken links, then it can have a negative impact on your SEO.
That’s why you need to fix them as soon as possible.
Now, how to find & fix them?
Don’t worry that’s what I am going to share here.
>>Keep Reading: SEO Guide especially for beginners who have no idea
HOW TO FIND BROKEN LINKS ON WORDPRESS
WHAT ARE BROKEN LINKS?
A broken/dead link is a link on a web page that no longer works due to the destination website removed the linked web page causing it to show a 404 error.
If I talk about your website, it basically happens when you change your URL structure known as permalink or you simply edit the page link & change it.
Following is a 404 error from my blog when I just started blogging. (My old blog design looks damn ugly 🙁 )
Every website experiences a few broken links which are normal. But an excess of them are dangerous and need to be fixed immediately.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOUR WEBSITE HAS BROKEN LINKS
If you don’t know, a website is indexed in the search engine (Google) when the search engine crawlers or spider bots can crawl the website.
However, while crawling if they find dead ends or broken links, then they can’t crawl further & the process will stop there.
You need to understand that whenever you write a piece of content & are hoping to get it rank on Google, then indexing is very important.
If Google bots can’t crawl your page due to broken links, then they can’t index it on their database which means poor ranking or maybe no ranking.
That’s why it’s very important to fix them all.
You should know that many SEO consultants who are paid to enhance your sites SEO performance, fix broken links first.
So finding & fixing broken links should be your first priority.
EFFECTS OF BROKEN LINKS
Following are some of the factors which could affect your blog performance.
- Broken links affect SEO as I already discussed above. When search engine spiders crawl on your website and encounter broken links, they are hindered to crawl further & thus this prevents indexing on a search engine.
- It gives an unpleasant user experience. Readers who encounter the 404 error page tend to move on to another website. This will result in less repeat user ratio & indirectly results in less website conversion rates.
- As you all know, Google likes to give a user-friendly experience to its audience. In such case, if your website has many broken links, then forget about ranking those pages. Most probably, they might be unindexed from the search engine.
HOW TO FIND BROKEN LINKS
Following are the steps you need to follow in order to find broken links to your website. However, there are other methods too. But, I prefer this one because it is quite simple.
- Login to your Google search console (earlier webmaster) account. If you don’t know how to set up, you can refer to this guide
- Click on your website URL as shown and this will direct you to the dashboard.
- On the left-hand side, click Crawl > Crawl errors to go to your broken link page.
- There you can find a number of Not found links (broken links) both for desktop & for mobile. These are the links that are needed to fix. (Please note if you just started using Google search console, then you need to wait at least 1-2 weeks to see the broken links)
HOW TO FIX BROKEN LINKS
Now there are many methods to fix this problem. But I use a simple method using a WordPress plugin. Following are the steps that are needed to be done.
- Install a WordPress plugin “Redirection” & activate it.
- Click on the settings which will take you to its setting page.
- Then click “Redirects” to go to its redirect page.
- You will find a “Add new redirection” section here as shown below.
- Now copy the broken link URL from Google search console account & paste it into the “Source URL”.
- Now decide where you want to redirect this dead link. If it is related to an article, you can redirect it there. But, If you are unsure where to redirect, then simply point it to your homepage. However, a better solution will be to write a new article related to that broken link and then redirect it to this new content.
- Change Group into Redirections & click Add Redirect button.
- That’s it, you have fixed a broken link on your website. Do the same for other broken links as well.
CONCLUSION – HOW TO FIND BROKEN LINKS ON WORDPRESS
This is how you must fix your broken links. I found this plugin method quite easy & convenient.
After fixing all this, you will see that Google can now crawl more web pages from your website. This will result in more indexing & you will have more chance to drive organic traffic from Google.
So that’s it guys, I hope that you will fix all your broken links as soon as possible. I will also recommend that you must check your broken links on weekly basis & get it fixed.
Anyways, please show some support for my blog by sharing this article & drop your questions if any.
>>Read Next: Best On-Page SEO techniques you need to implement