Are you striving to increase blog traffic through Pinterest?
Is nobody clicking your pins to visit your blog?
Aren’t your pins getting repinned?
Well, I know many bloggers are coping with these problems. When I started with Pinterest, I too was in the same boat until I finally found out the actual strategy.
I hope you have read similar articles on Pinterest. But in this guide, I will walk through all the steps required to have an SEO rich profile, pins & boards.
Also, I will be sharing my Pinterest Pinning Sheet using which you can track your pinning process & will exactly know which pins need to be pinned in which board.
For manual pinners, I will share two strategies that you can use to pin manually without using any scheduling tools. So, keep reading guys.
PINTEREST STRATEGY FOR BLOGGERS
This post contains affiliate links. For more info, check out disclosure page
What Is Pinterest?
When I wasn’t into blogging, I use to consider Pinterest as a social media platform just like Facebook & Instagram. But after I came into Blogosphere, I realized Pinterest isn’t just a social media. It is actually a visual search engine which drives more than 70 million users per month.
Here, results are displayed as pins (images) instead of text & it has a great potential to drive tons of traffic to the blogs. But in order to do so, you must have an account so that you can share your pins related to your content.
Choose “Pinterest For Business” Account
You can create two types of account on Pinterest. They are
- Personal Account
- Business Account
Personal accounts are for those who are using Pinterest as a search engine whereas Business accounts are useful for those who are promoting their business.
For bloggers like us, it is essential that you create a business account or convert your existing profile into it because this will enable you to track analytics & create rich pins.
Create SEO Rich Pinterest Profile
Many people don’t put much work in describing their profile. They are mostly concerned about pinning. But in order to have a good amount of followers on Pinterest, it is really important to have a well-described profile.
You may have noticed that while searching anything on Pinterest, there is a filter for “people”. If you click that, You can search users instead of pins.
For example, if you search for SEO tips, you will see user accounts who are sharing pins on the same topic. Thus, if you customize your profile according to your niche/topic, then your account may also pop up in the search results.
So, it is necessary to insert keywords in your profile name and description to get searched.
- Profile Name – If we look at Mr. Richard Adams profile, you can see that his profile name is well optimized for keywords such as SEO, Social Media Marketing & Blogging Tips.
- Profile Description – His profile description is also optimized for other keywords such as blogging, SEO, content marketing etc.
So the point is to choose keywords that you wanna get ranked and insert it into your profile name & description to make it SEO optimized.
What is a Pinterest Pin?
A pin is an image that user creates and links with a website/blog. Clicking on these will redirect you to the linked website.
Your pin decides whether users wanna check out your blog post or not. Thus, you need to pay attention while designing your pins (we will discuss that in a minute).
What is a Pinterest Board?
Pinterest boards are where you can save all your pins to organize it around different ideas. To simplify it, consider it as a box where you stored all your comics book. Then in another box, you stored all the science books.
Thus, you organized all your comic books in one box and science books on the other. Each box represents a collection of similar type of books. So, here the box is the board and books are pins. I hope you got the point.
Create SEO Optimized Pinterest Boards
Many people create boards & simply name it without doing any keyword research. For example, if you are creating a board about Traveling. You might be naming it as “Travelling” or “Travelling tips”.
Though there is nothing wrong with it. But while naming the board, you need to do some research that will let you know what other users are typing to search about traveling.
To know, simply type the keyword on the search bar and it will automatically show the related keywords which users are mostly typing.
You can then use those keywords in your board name & description. Like as shown above, I can use the suggested keywords to create a board name such as “Travelling | Budget & Packing Tips”.
Also, write a good description with the combination of these keywords. You can install Grammarly which will make sure that your description is grammatical error free & to the point.
In addition, make sure you have created at least 10 boards having 50 pins in each of them before promoting your own pins.
Split Pinterest Boards Into Sections
If you are creating a board on a topic, then you can split it into the various section. For example, if your creating a board about “Online marketing” then try to split it up into section such as
- Content marketing
- Social media marketing
- Email marketing
In this way, your boards will be well organized and it will be easier for you & for others to search pins. You can find the section option on a board.
Design Pinterest Boards
Well, Pinterest is all about visual stuff. If you can attract readers visually, then Pinterest is for you. With that being said, Pinterest boards should also be made visually attractive. Many of them ignore this, but it is actually a good practice.
To do this, you can choose a color theme.
If your blog has its own theme color, then you can integrate those into your board cover design. As you can see, my board covers have the same color theme which looks quite eye-catching and neat. The purpose is to attract users visually.
How To Create Pinterest Board Covers?
You can create these board cover using Canva or Photoshop. The ideal size for the same is 500 x 500 pixel.
Arrangement Of Boards
People visiting your profile wouldn’t be scrolling down to look all your boards. Some may do it but others won’t. There might be a chance that people will ignore your best boards because it may be positioned down below.
Therefore, to take the maximum advantage, it is essential to place all your best boards in the first two rows. Thus, in this way, everybody gets to see your best stuff without scrolling down.
You can also use the showcase feature through which you can have a slideshow of your favorite boards. You can learn more from here.
Create Your Own Pins
According to me, this is the most important section of this guide because your pins will decide whether you will be driving traffic to your blog or not. Therefore, your pin design should be eye-catching with compelling phrases.
But before creating such pins, you should make sure that you have great contents on your blog that can be shared. You can also hire writers from HireWriters.com for contents. However, if you don’t have a blog, you can read my step-by-step guide to create an amazing blog.
Experiment With Pin Style
So when you have created a couple of blog post, it’s time to design pins that will attract the readers. Now, you need to do a little experiment about designs to actually know what works for you.
If I talk about myself, I tried several pin designs to decide which one gets the most repins. You can see following different pin templates that I created for my blog.
Finally, I chose my final design template which is attached to the starting of this article. Thus, you should also have your own template. This process is known as pin branding which will help other users to recognize your pins.
Alternately, you can refer others pin design to see which template is getting the maximum repins. Also, don’t forget to read the phrases they are using to get a click-through-rate.
Usually, you can use such phrases on your pin template to get maximum click-through-rate.
- Amazing etc
Include Domain Name On Pins
So, after you created your pin with a compelling phrase. You just need to do one more important thing. Always, mention your blog/domain name on your pins so that others can recognize your blog URL. You can see above pins how I mentioned my domain name at the bottom.
But, If you are using a free hosting such as Blogspot or Wix, then nobody wants to click on such pins having domain names such as “yoursite.blogspot.com”.
Therefore, it is best to have a self-hosted blog. If you are really serious about driving traffic from Pinterest, I suggest you should buy a domain name & a web host.
You can try GoDaddy to buy a cheap domain name, Also, I highly recommend choosing Siteground as your web host because they are more secure and faster than most of the other web host. Plus, they have one of the best customer support.
If you are already using another web host, Siteground also offers free site migration i.e they will transfer your current web host to Siteground for free.
Things To Consider While Designing Pins
Before starting, I wanna let you know that if you are not into graphics designing or don’t have much time to do all the design stuff, you can always hire someone from Fiverr who will do the job at a cheap price.
However, if you want to do it by yourself, you can consider certain factors. As per researches are done by Curalate, they suggested following factors which will be useful to create best pin designs that increase user engagement.
- Pin Size – Make sure that your pins are vertically longer as vertical pins are best for Pinterest. Ideally, your pin size should be 735 x 1102 as per the standards. But you are free to adjust its vertical length. In addition, remember that the pins should be in 2:3 or 4:5 aspect ratio.
- Pin Color – Research suggests that reddish orange images do better than other colors such as bluish images. So make sure you are using such colors.
- Number Of Colors – Pins having multiple dominant colors such as red, pink, orange does better than single dominant color. So make sure that you are not stuck with a single color.
- Lightness Of Pins – Medium lightness pins are pinned more than the dark pins. So try to have a pin that is not dark and has a medium lightness.
- Pin Saturation – Images having 50% saturation are considered good in comparison with desaturated images.
- Background – Images having a background are pinned more than images having a plain background. So try to choose free stock images having a good background. You can download free images from Pexels.
- Texture – Smooth texture pins are pinned more than rough texture pins.
Optimize Pin Title & Description For SEO
As I previously explained, here also you need to use keywords in title and description. Just look up for those related keywords that readers search on Pinterest & include them.
If your pin is about Blogging tools, then type the same keyword in the search bar and look what all keywords are being searched related to that keyword. Include those in your title & description.
Also, don’t forget to include a call-to-action in your description so that users know what they have to do.
Increase Blog Traffic Using Pinterest Group Boards
You have done 90% of the work. It’s time to drive some traffic to your pins. The best way to do so is to join Pinterest Group Boards. But before I tell you the exact procedure to join such groups, let’s see what are group boards?
What is Pinterest Group Board?
Group boards are like a regular board where along with board creator, others are also allowed to repin. Group boards are a great way to drive MASSIVE blog traffic because your pins will be visible in front of thousands of people.
Now think about it, what will happen if a person repins your pin. Your pin will be automatically shared with his followers. Now, if his follower repins it, it will be shared with his followers. This flow of repins keeps on going and ultimately your pin will be available in front of more & more people.
This will automatically drive huge traffic to your blog. But, you have to remember one thing that your pin design should be attractive to get clicks.
How To Find Pinterest Boards?
There are tons of group boards available on Pinterest, but many of them don’t accept new contributors. Due to this, it becomes difficult to find such group boards who accept new users. In such cases, you can do the following things to find group boards according to your niche.
1. Search on Pinterest
- Type “niche name+group board” on search bar with a “board” filter & hit search. For example: “Online Marketing Group Board”.
- You will see all the boards related to online marketing. Some of them accept contributors & others don’t. In order to check it, you need to click them.
- After clicking, you can read their description whether they accept new contributors or not as shown above. If they do, then follow their rules, instruction & join them.
2. Search On PinGroupie.com
- Go to PinGroupie.com
- Type your niche in the description or title box and hit filter.
- Click on the group boards and follow their instruction to join them.
These are the ways I personally use to find Pinterest group boards. However, to make things easier I have already collected a list of group boards which you can join immediately.
Also, I will be glad if you will join my group board BLOGGING FACTION.
How To Join Pinterest Boards
Well if you found your desired group boards, its time to join them. But before joining them, you need to read & abide their rules given in the board description.
Usually, most of the group board creators want you to follow their board, follow them & then send an email to their email address (provided in the description) in order to get accepted.
You can refer the following e-mail as an example. Obviously, you can edit it as per your convenience. After you sent it, wait for 2-3 days before getting an invitation from them on Pinterest.
How To Know Whether You Are Accepted?
If you are accepted, you will receive a notification about the invitation on Pinterest. Simply accept it and then you are an official member of that group.
However, make sure that you don’t spam or over repin in the group boards as this may result in removal. Also, I recommend that you join at least 10 boards to get started and then slowly add new boards to your profile.
How To Schedule Pins Automatically
In order to increase traffic to your blog, you have to repin a lot of pins on a daily basis. On an average, 30 pins a day is a good practice. Out of which 6 pins must be yours and 24 pins must be others.
I mean, it’s not about sharing your own content, but you also need to repin others stuff. If you want to see the maximum benefit, you need to pin throughout the day.
However, that may soon bug you as you can’t spend your whole day on Pinterest. In such cases, using a scheduling tool is the best option.
You will require a tool where you can schedule all your pins for whole day/week/month. This is actually the best way to grow your Pinterest account and drive traffic to your blog because after scheduling you don’t have to worry about pinning every time.
To do this, I use Tailwind.
What Is Tailwind & It’s Features?
It is a scheduling tool for Pinterest & Instagram. I just love it because it is packed up with so many features & at the same time is quite easy to use plus saves a lot of time. There are some major features why majority of people are using it
- Free – You can try this tool for free up to 200 pins. After that, you can buy their monthly or annual plan.
- Price – It is less costly than most of the other scheduling tools.
- Unlimited Pinning – For just $10/month, you can access to have unlimited pinning for a month which is actually good because other scheduling tools have a limit.
- Best Scheduling Times – Tailwind will suggest you best times throughout the day when your audience is most active. Pinning in these times will result in more engagement.
- Tailwind Chrome extension – You can install Tailwind browser add-on for free. Using this tool, you can pin images from any website. When you hover the mouse cursor over an image, a Tailwind icon will pop-up. Clicking on that will take you to Pinterest and thus you can pin it.
- Analytics – Tailwind also has its own analytics feature where you can track followers and engagement for repins. This is actually good for Pinterest strategy.
- Tailwind tribes – Tailwind tribes are just like group boards but are owned by Tailwind. You can simply join them and share your pins there. Not to mention, you will need to repin others pin as well. You can schedule your pins by selecting pins from these tribes.
So, if you wanna try it out, then sign up for its free trial & get 200 repins for free.
How To Pin Manually
Well, If you are not ready to use scheduling tools yet. Then also you can pin manually using a smart strategy which I used earlier before going for Tailwind.
There are two strategies I used for the pinning process. But before that, I recommend you must do it on a regular basis for at least one month before seeing any result. So, with that being said here is my two strategies.
1. Repin Using Alarm
This is the first strategy I made which is easy and at the same time is kind of smart technique. But make sure that you have enough time to do it.
- You first need to sign up for Tailwind free trial. Then go to Publish > Your Schedule and note down all the time for all the days. These are the times when the readers are most active on Pinterest.
- Next, schedule your alarm according to these times. You can use your mobile alarm for the same. Make sure you have at least 10 alarms set for the day. Though. sometimes you will find only 4- 5 scheduling times for a day in Tailwind. In that case, you can include your own time.
- Now, whenever the alarm rings, you need to repin 3 images. This will result in a total of 30 repins for the day. Out of which you need to repin 6 images of yours and 24 images of others.
- Do this for 1 month to see the result.
I have seen a good result using this strategy in comparison with the normal one. The basic flaw in normal pinning is that sometimes I tend to forget to repin. Like if you have a busy schedule, then its probably difficult to always remind you about pinning.
Whereas in this one, even if you forgot. The alarm will always remind you about pinning.
2. Repin In The Best Time
In this strategy, you need to first find out the global best time for pinning. Now, you don’t have to search it as I have done the legwork. According to the Pinterest standards, the best time for pinning are
- 2 pm – 4 pm EST
- 8 pm – 1 am EST
If you belong to this timezone, then its well & good. But if you belong to a different timezone, then simply convert it into your time zone using Google.
Next, repin 3 times in between 2-4 pm. Each time you need to repin 5 images. That will make a total of 15 repins between the interval of 2-4 pm. Do the same with 8pm-1am. So in total, you will be pinning 6 times a day which is better than 10 or more times. Thus, in this way, you can accomplish 30 pins for the day
I know it’s a lot of work, but hey, it’s FREE people.
How To Track Repins
While I was pinning, I use to repin the same pin twice on the same board. Thus, this made me confused about which pin needs to be pinned on which board. I know you are confused too?
So, to tackle it, I created a Pinterest Pinning Sheet.
Using this sheet,
- You can track about Repins
- Will know exactly which Image isn’t pinned on which board.
- Can plan your pinning schedule for the day.
Few instructions for using this sheet:
- When you repin an image, then highlight the cell in the sheet with a color. You can also insert date instead of color.
- When you add a new board, then insert a new column.
- When you add a new pin, then insert a new row.
Final Note – Pinterest Marketing Tips
I hope now you have the clear idea about Pinterest Marketing strategy. You can implement all these tips on your Pinterest account & see the magical result.
Also, Pinterest is about consistency. If you are consistent, you will definitely see the result. But if you are not doing it regularly, then the result may fluctuate.
So, now my question is what are the strategies you have been using to drive traffic to your blog using Pinterest? Please comment below.