Pinterest is considered one of the best traffic source by many bloggers. The specialty of Pinterest is that even if your blog is one month old, you can still drive huge traffic if done correctly. Unlike Google which takes at least 6 months to do so.
Well, hearing all this seems very easy, but simply pinning pins won’t drive much traffic. I use to do the same thing, but all I could see is only 5-6 people visiting my blog on a daily basis. That kinda hurt.
While browsing, I always peep into income reports of others to see their traffic source. And all I could see is Pinterest. This really excited me to try my hands on it.
Related Post: 3 Things I Did That Increased My Pinterest Traffic
So, I started experimenting with Pinterest and saw some good improvement in my traffic. It wasn’t quick & it took a little time to finally figure it out.
Here, I will mention some of the Pinterest marketing strategies that I used to improve my traffic. It worked for me & I am sure it will work for you as well. If you follow these steps, I am pretty sure that you can get a boost in your blog traffic.
Alright? Ready, let’s start
1. CHOOSE “PINTEREST FOR BUSINESS” ACCOUNT
This is the first thing you need to do. You see, when you sign up with Pinterest, you can either go for personal or Business account.
If you go for a personal account, you will miss the analytical features which are very crucial. A personal account is good if you only want to browse Pinterest,
However, if your sole purpose is to drive traffic from it, then you should definitely go for Business account.
It gives you the power of analytics through which you can measure the condition of your profile. Also, you can track which pins are doing well & which isn’t. Same goes for boards too.
So, that is why I will suggest that you change your account to Business. You can check out this article on how to set up a business profile.
2. CREATE SEO RICH PINTEREST PROFILE
Many bloggers don’t put up much work in describing their profile. They are mostly concerned about pinning.
Yeah, pinning does matter. But a well-described profile is also a must to build trust among users. This will also help you to gain followers as well.
You may have noticed that while searching anything on Pinterest, there is a filter for “people”. If you click that, You can search users instead of pins.
For example, if you search for SEO tips, you will see user accounts who are sharing pins on the same topic. Thus, if you customize your profile according to your niche/topic, then your account may also pop up in the search results which enable other users to connect with you.
You can do the following things to make your profile SEO friendly.
- Profile Name – If we look at Mr. Richard Adams profile, you can see that his profile name is well optimized for keywords such as SEO, Social Media Marketing & Blogging Tips.
- Profile Description – His profile description is also optimized for other keywords such as blogging, SEO, content marketing etc.
So the point is to choose keywords that you wanna get ranked for and insert it into your profile name & description to make it SEO optimized. Pretty simple.
3. CREATE SEO OPTIMIZED PINTEREST BOARDS
I have seen many bloggers create boards & simply name it without even doing any keyword research. For example, if you are creating a board about Traveling. You might be naming it as “Travelling” or “Travelling tips”.
Though there is nothing wrong with it. But while naming the board, you need to do some research that will let you know what other users are typing to search for travel.
To find out, simply type the keyword in the search bar and you can automatically see the suggested keywords.
You can then use those keywords in your board name & description. Like as shown above, I can use the suggested keywords to create a board name such as “Travelling | Budget & Packing Tips”.
Also, writing a good description of the combination of these keywords can do wonders. You can install Grammarly which will make sure that your description is grammatical error free.
In addition, make sure you have created at least 5-10 boards having 50 pins in each of them before promoting your own pins.
4. DESIGN PINTEREST BOARDS
Well, Pinterest is all about visual stuff. If you can attract readers visually, then Pinterest is for you. With that being said, Pinterest boards should also be made visually attractive. Though it isn’t necessary, but it will surely attract followers as per my experience.
Speaking of design, If your blog has its own theme color, then you can integrate those into your board cover design. As you can see, my board covers have the same color theme which looks quite eye-catching and neat.
You can create such board covers using Canva or Photoshop. The ideal size for the same is 500 x 500 pixel.
5. ARRANGEMENT OF BOARDS
Have you ever thought which board of yours are doing well & which isn’t? Which board contains the most focused pins and which boards describe your business well?
The idea here is to attract the right kind of audience and turning them into followers. Let me ask you one question. Whenever you visit someone’s profile, do you scroll and check out all their boards?
Probably not. I am sure that you only check out top two rows before deciding to follow them. You need to implement the same thing on your profile too.
Fill the top two rows with such boards that describe your business and have some of the best pins of yours. You can also use the showcase feature through which you can have a slideshow of your favorite boards. You can learn more from here.
Thus, this will enable you to connect with such people who are really interested in your business/blog.
6. CREATE A WEBSITE BOARD
Make sure that you create a new board having only your website pins in it. You can name it as something like “Best Of WebsiteName”.
I have seen an increase of repins when I created such board. Also, it is the most repinned board on my profile.
You see, if a board does well and is quite engaging with users via repin, then Pinterest improves the visibility of such boards. Thus, pinning on such boards will also improve the visibility of pin as well.
If your pins are more visible, then it has a higher chance to drive traffic to your blog. So next time, whenever you design a pin, make sure to repin it on this board.
7. CREATE PINS HAVING BIG TEXT
Most of the Pinterest audience is mobile users. In such case, if your text appears to be small in size, they will probably ignore it & you don’t want to let that happen.
As a mobile user, I simply ignore those pins which have small fonts and are quite difficult to read. Whereas big font pins always grab my attention. Thus, it has higher chances of repinning.
Therefore, I would recommend designing your pins with big fonts so that your pin can’t be ignored. This will also improve your CTR as well.
You know, I have seen a considerable rise in clicks when I implemented it.
8. USE URGENCY WORDS IN YOUR PINS
According to Behavioral Psychologist, urgent situations cause people to act quickly. Usually, people think a lot before taking any action.
Therefore, raising the urgency level cuts through a lot of this delay and they act quickly to the required actions.
Words such as Quick, Now, Fast, Hurry etc create urgency and certainly improve CTR. You can use such words in your pins while designing it.
Well, I have seen some good results with it. And I am pretty sure, you will too. So, give it a shot & see how your pin performs.
9. INCLUDE WEBSITE URL ON YOUR PINS
If you don’t add URL on your pins, nobody will know that it belongs to your blog.
Suppose, you have a good amount of audience that likes your content & they are active on Pinterest. So, whenever they see a pin having your URL on it. They will surely recognize it and are more likely to check it out.
Therefore always, mention your blog/domain name on your pins so that people can recognize it. Also, it acts like a trademark so that others can’t steal your pins.
One thing to note is that make sure you are not using free platforms such as Blogspot or Wix, I mean nobody wants to click on such pins having domain names such as “yoursite.blogspot.com”.
If you are really serious about driving traffic from Pinterest, I suggest you should buy a domain name. You can try GoDaddy to buy a cheap domain name.
10. THINGS TO CONSIDER WHILE DESIGNING PINS
Before starting, I wanna let you know that if you are not into graphics designing or don’t have much time to do all the design stuff, you can always hire someone from Fiverr who will do the job at a cheap price.
However, if you want to do it by yourself, you can consider certain factors. As per researches are done by Curalate, they suggested following factors which are considered good practice while designing the pin.
- Pin Size – Make sure that your pins are vertically longer as vertical pins are best for Pinterest. Ideally, your pin size should be 735 x 1102 as per the standards. But you are free to adjust its vertical length. In addition, remember that the pins should be in 2:3 or 4:5 aspect ratio.
- Pin Color – Research suggests that reddish orange images do better than other colors such as bluish images. So make sure you are using such colors.
- Number Of Colors – Pins having multiple dominant colors such as red, pink, orange does better than single dominant color. So make sure that you are not stuck with a single color.
- Lightness Of Pins – Medium lightness pins are pinned more than the dark pins. So try to have a pin that is not dark and has a medium lightness.
- Pin Saturation – Images having 50% saturation are considered good in comparison with desaturated images.
- Background – Images having a background are pinned more than images having a plain background. So try to choose free stock images having a good background. You can download free images from Pexels.
- Texture – Smooth texture pins are pinned more than rough texture pins.
11. SEO OPTIMIZE PIN TITLE & DESCRIPTION
As I explained previously, you need to find out what keywords people are searching regarding your blog post via the search bar on Pinterest.
Include those keywords in your pin title and description. So, next time if someone searches the same on Pinterest, your pin has more chance to pop up during the search result.
Suppose, If your pin is about Blogging tools, then type the same keyword in the search bar and look what all keywords are being searched related to that keyword.
Include those in your title & description. Also, don’t forget to include a call-to-action in your description so that users know what they have to do.
12. BE CONSISTENT WITH PINNING
Well, if you want to drive traffic from Pinterest, you need to be consistent. It doesn’t matter how many pins you pin… what matters is the consistency.
I have seen Pinterest traffic rolling to my website when I pinned fewer images & also saw the same result when I pinned more images.
You don’t have to rely on numbers. Instead, make it a habit to pin daily. However, make sure you don’t do the bulk pinning because its a bad practice. Instead, divide your repinning schedule throughout the day to see the maximum result.
If you don’t have time to do so, then you can always use any scheduling tool. I use Tailwind to schedule all my pins.
This is because I live in India and my target audience resides in the US. They are more active during my nap time i.e. from 1 am to 10 am IST. So, that is why I need to schedule my pins. But not to mention, I also do manual pinning as well.
However, if you too have the same problem or don’t have enough time to do pinning, then you can also try this tool.
Talking about Tailwind, it is a scheduling tool for Pinterest & Instagram. There are some major features why the majority of pinners are using it
- Free – You can try this tool for free up to 200 pins. After that, you can buy their monthly or annual plan.
- Price – It is less costly than most of the other scheduling tools.
- Unlimited Pinning – For just $10/month, you can access to have unlimited pinning for a month which is actually good because other scheduling tools have a limit.
- Best Scheduling Times – Tailwind will suggest you the best times throughout the day when your audience is most active. Pinning in these times will result in more engagement.
- Tailwind Chrome extension – You can install Tailwind browser add-on for free. Using this tool, you can pin images from any website. When you hover the mouse cursor over an image, a Tailwind icon will pop-up. Clicking on that will take you to Pinterest and thus you can pin it.
- Analytics – Tailwind also has its own analytics feature where you can track followers and engagement. This is actually good for Pinterest strategy.
- Tailwind tribes – Tailwind tribes are just like group boards but are owned by Tailwind. You can simply join them and share your pins there. Not to mention, you will need to repin others pin as well. You can also schedule your pins by selecting pins from these tribes.
So, if you wanna give it a shot, then sign up for its free trial plan & get 200 repins for free.
13. Track Repins
Before having a Pinning sheet, I use to repin the same pin twice on the same board. Thus, this made me confused about which pin needs to be pinned on which board. I know you are confused too?
So, to tackle it, I created a Pinterest Pinning Sheet.
Using this sheet,
- You can track about Repins
- Will know exactly which Image isn’t pinned on which board.
- Can plan your pinning schedule for the day.
Few instructions for using this sheet:
- When you repin an image, then highlight the cell in the sheet with a color. You can also insert date instead of color.
- When you add a new board, then insert a new column.
- When you add a new pin, then insert a new row.
FINAL NOTE – PINTEREST MARKETING STRATEGY
I hope by now, you have learned something new about Pinterest Marketing Strategy. These tips have worked for me & I am pretty sure that it will work for you as well.
Pinterest is about consistency. If you are consistent, you will definitely see the result. But if you are not doing it regularly, then the result may fluctuate.
So, now my question is what are the strategies you have been using to drive traffic to your blog using Pinterest? Do let me know.