Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you buy or sign-up through one of those links, you won’t pay a penny more but we’ll get a small commission that helps us in running this blog. Read the Disclosure page.
Pinterest is considered one of the best traffic source by many bloggers. The specialty of Pinterest is that even if your blog is one month old, you can still drive huge traffic if done correctly. Unlike Google which takes at least 6 months to do so.
While browsing Pinterest, I always peep into income reports of others to see their traffic source. And all I could see is Pinterest. This really excited me to try my hands on it.
Well, hearing all this seems very easy, but simply pinning pins won’t drive much traffic. I use to do the same thing, but all I could see is only 10-15 people visiting my blog on a daily basis. That kinda hurt.
So, I started experimenting with Pinterest and saw some good improvement in my traffic. It wasn’t quick & it took a little time to finally figure it out.
Here, I will mention some of the Pinterest marketing strategies that I used to improve my traffic. It worked for me & I am sure it will work for you as well. If you follow these steps, I am pretty sure that you can get a boost in your blog traffic.
Alright? Ready, let’s start.
- 3 Things I Did That Increased My Pinterest Traffic
- Pinterest Viral Pin – How my pins are getting viral and giving me lots of traffic
Pinterest Marketing Strategy To Boost Traffic
1. Choose “Pinterest For Business” Account
This is the first thing you need to do. You see, when you sign up with Pinterest, you can either go for personal or Business account.
If you go for a personal account, you will miss the analytical features which are very crucial to growing traffic. A personal account is only good if you just want to browse Pinterest.
However, if your sole purpose is to drive traffic from it, then you should definitely go for a Business account because it gives you the power of analytics.
With analytics, you can track which pins & boards are doing well & which are not. Analyzing all these analytics can really help you to improve your traffic.
You can check out this article on how to set up a business profile.
2. Create SEO-Rich Pinterest Profile
Many bloggers don’t put up much work in describing their profile. They are mostly concerned about pinning.
Yeah, pinning does matter. But a well-described profile is also a must to build trust among users. This will also help you to gain followers as well.
You may have noticed that while searching for anything on Pinterest, there is a filter for “people”. If you click that, you can search for people instead of pins.
For example, if you search for SEO tips, you will see pinners who are sharing the pins on the same topic. As you can see below, I am ranking on 3rd position for “SEO tips” keyword.
Also, I am ranking on 2nd position for “Work from home tips” keyword.
Thus, if you customize your profile according to your niche/topic, then your account may also pop up in the search results which enable other people to connect with you.
These people will give you better clicks and saves when they engage with your pins.
To make your profile SEO friendly, you can follow these tips:
- Profile Name – If you look at my profile, you can see that my profile name is well optimized for keywords such as Blogging tips, SEO tips & Work from home tips.
- Profile Description – My profile description is also optimized for other keywords such as start a blog, SEO, make money online etc.
So the point is you have to choose keywords that you want to get ranked for and insert it into your profile name & description. Pretty simple.
3. Create SEO-Optimized Pinterest Boards
I have seen many people who create their boards & simply name it without even doing any proper keyword research.
For example, if you are creating a board about Traveling, you might be naming it as “Travelling Adventure” or “My Travel Guide”.
Though there is nothing wrong with it. But while naming the board, you need to do some keyword research that will let you know what others are typing to find such topics.
So, to find out, simply type the keyword in the search bar and you can automatically see the suggested keywords.
Using these keywords, you can create different boards.
So, with the above search term, I can create 5 new boards such as:
- Traveling tips
- Traveling tips for men
- Traveling tips International
- Traveling tips road trips
- Traveling tips for men packing lists
If you want more board name, simply type different keywords and create different boards with the suggested search term.
Also, writing a good description of the combination of these keywords can do wonders.
You can install Grammarly which will make sure that your description is grammatical error free while writing.
In addition, make sure you have created at least 5-10 boards having 30 third party high-quality pins in each one of them before getting started.
4. Design Pinterest Boards
Well, Pinterest is all about visual appearance. If you can attract readers visually, then Pinterest is definitely for you.
With that being said, Pinterest boards should also be made visually attractive.
Though it isn’t necessary but it will surely attract more followers as per my experience.
Speaking of design, if your blog has its own theme color, then you can integrate those into your board cover.
As you can see, my board covers have the same color theme which looks quite eye-catching and neat.
You can create such board covers using Canva or Photoshop. The ideal size for the same is 500 x 500 pixel.
5. Arrangement Of Boards
Have you ever thought which boards are doing well & which isn’t?
Which board contains the most repinned pins and which boards describe your business well?
The idea here is to attract the right kind of audience and turning them into your followers.
Let me ask you one question, whenever you visit someone’s profile, do you scroll and check out all their boards?
Probably not. I am pretty sure that you only check out the top two rows boards before deciding to follow anyone.
And that’s the same thing you must do with your boards as well.
You need to fill up the top two rows with such boards that describe your business/website well.
Also, you can also use the “featured board” option through which you can have a slideshow of your favorite boards. You can learn more about showcase feature from here.
Thus, this will enable you to connect with such people who are really interested in your business/blog.
6. Create A Website Board
Make sure that you create a new board having only your website pins in it. You can name it something like “Best Of WebsiteName”.
I have actually seen an increase of repins when I created such board and started pinning only my own pins.
Also, it is one of the most repinned boards on my profile.
You see, if a board is quite engaging with the audience, then Pinterest improves the visibility of such boards.
Having good visibility will also improve the visibility of your pins saved in that board. This means your pins will be shown more to your audience which will result in more clicks and repins.
If your pins are getting more clicks and repins, then it has a higher chance to drive more traffic to your blog.
7. Create Pins Having Big Text
Most of the Pinterest audience is mobile users.
In such case, if your text appears to be small in size, they will probably ignore it & you don’t want to let that happen right?
As a mobile user, I simply ignore those pins which have small fonts and are quite difficult to read. Whereas big font pins always grab my attention.
Therefore, I would recommend designing your pins with big fonts so that your pin can’t be ignored. If you follow this routine, you can definitely improve your click to rate.
You know, I have seen a considerable rise in clicks when I implemented the same.
8. Use Compelling Words That Improves Ctr
If your pin headline sucks, then don’t expect to see any traffic.
Even, if you apply the best Pinterest strategies, you won’t see much traffic if your headline is boring.
I mean, there are many pins on Pinterest which has an awesome design and engaging headline.
Now tell me, why would anyone click your boring pin when there are hundreds of pin with the same boring title?
That is why you should always pay special attention to your headline. If your headline is creating mystery or curiosity, I am damn sure, your pins will get better clicks.
Let me ask you a question, which headline are you going to click?
- How to increase your blog traffic
- My personal method to boost your traffic within one-month
I am damn sure that you are going to check out the second one.
Because it is creating mystery and curiosity.
The words such as “My personal method” & “Within one-month” are creating curiosity and mystery which makes you want to click that pin & that’s exactly how you should compose your headline.
However, make sure that your headline is justifying your content.
If I am mentioning “personal method”, then my content should have a method otherwise it will be called as clickbait which is bad.
9. Include Website URL On Your Pins
If you already have an audience on Pinterest or you are trying to make one, then its very important to include your domain name on your pins.
Do you know why?
- If people love your content, they are more willing to click your pin over others by seeing your domain name.
- By adding a domain name on your pins, you are actually protecting it from stealing. It’s like a copyright signature which only belongs to you.
One thing to note is that make sure you are not using free platforms such as Blogspot or Wix, I mean nobody wants to click on such pins having domain names such as “yoursite.blogspot.com”.
If you are really serious about driving traffic from Pinterest, I suggest you should buy a domain name. You can try GoDaddy to buy one.
10. Things To Consider While Designing Pins
Before starting, I want to let you know that if you are not into graphics designing or don’t have much time to do all the design stuff, you can always hire me to create engaging pins.
I will design your pins at a cheap price & as a bonus, you will receive a “keyword rich pin description” as well for each pin.
However, if you want to do it by yourself, you can consider certain factors.
As per researches are done by Curalate, they suggested the following factors which are considered good practice while designing the pin.
- Pin Size – Make sure that your pins are vertically longer as vertical pins are best for Pinterest. Ideally, your pin size should be 735 x 1102 as per the standards. But you are free to adjust its vertical length. In addition, remember that the pins should be in 2:3 or 4:5 aspect ratio.
- Pin Color – Research suggests that reddish orange images do better than other colors such as bluish images. So make sure you are using such colors more over others.
- Number Of Colors – Pins having multiple dominant colors such as red, pink, orange does better than single dominant color. So make sure that you are not stuck with a single color.
- Lightness Of Pins – Medium lightness pins are pinned more than the dark pins. So try to have a pin that is not dark and has a medium lightness.
- Pin Saturation – Images having 50% saturation are considered good in comparison with desaturated images.
- Background – Images having a background are pinned more than images having a plain background. So try to include free stock images having a good background.
- Texture – Smooth texture pins are pinned more than rough texture pins.
11. SEO Optimize Your Pin Title & Description
As I explained earlier, you need to find out those keywords which people are using as their search term.
If you include them in your pin title and description, you will definitely help Pinterest to index your pins in their search engine.
Being indexed, it could then pop-up in the search engine for the same keyword which can gradually drive more Pinterest organic traffic to your blog.
Suppose, if your pin is about Blogging tools, then type the same keyword in the search bar and look at what all keywords are being suggested related to that keyword.
Include 1-2 relevant keyword in your description and start saving them in relevant boards/group boards. Based on this activity, Pinterest will index your pin accordingly.
As you can see below, if I search the term “Google Adsense Alternatives” on Pinterest, my 2 pins pop-up at the top.
These pins are giving me good traffic from both search engine & other pinning activities.
…And what did I do?
I just optimized it for certain keywords & started pinning it into relevant boards.
And now, you can see the result.
12. Be Consistent With Your Pinning Activity
Well, if you want to drive traffic from Pinterest, you need to be consistent. It doesn’t matter how many pins you pin, what matters is the consistency.
I have seen Pinterest traffic rolling to my website when I pinned fewer images & also saw the same result when I pinned more images.
Now it doesn’t mean that you must only repin 3-5 pins on a daily basis. No, you don’t have to do that.
Understand this, each pin depicts your one post. So, if you pinning only 3-5 pins daily, it means you are promoting 3-5 post.
However, if you pinning at least 20-30 pins daily, it means you are promoting 20-30 post which gives you a better chance to drive more traffic.
I hope this makes sense?
If you don’t have enough time to do all sort of pinning, you can always use any scheduling tool such as Tailwind.
Talking about Tailwind, it is a scheduling tool for Pinterest & Instagram where you can automatically share your pins without any manual work.
Following are some of the features:
- Free – You can try this tool for free up to 100 pins. After that, you need to buy their monthly or annual plan.
- Price – It is less costly than most of the other scheduling tools.
- Unlimited Pinning – For just $10/month, you can access to have unlimited pinning for a month which is actually good because other scheduling tools have a limit.
- Best Scheduling Times – Tailwind will suggest you the best times throughout the day when your audience is most active. Pinning in these times will result in more engagement.
- Tailwind Chrome extension – You can install Tailwind browser add-on for free. Using this tool, you can pin images from any website. When you hover the mouse cursor over an image, a Tailwind icon will pop-up. Clicking on that will take you to Pinterest and thus you can pin it.
- Analytics – Tailwind also has its own analytics feature where you can track followers and engagement. This is actually good for a Pinterest strategy.
- Tailwind tribes – Tailwind tribes are just like group boards but are owned by Tailwind. You can simply join them and share your pins there. Not to mention, you will need to repin others pin as well. You can also schedule your pins by selecting pins from these tribes as well. Tribes are free to use even if you are using Tailwind trial plan.
You can click here to sign up for its free trial plan.
13. Repin Your Most Repinned Pins
Repinning your best pins to your relevant board is the best thing you can do to boost your engagement.
All you need to do is just choose 5 best pins of your that are giving you traffic and repin it to your personal boards.
To do this, you can go to your Pinterest analytics option which can be found on the top-left side and then click overview.
Here, access to your website analytics i.e. “Activity from the blog” & click more.
Organize the result according to clicks and repin the top 5 pins into your relevant best personal boards.
Make sure to do this activity at least twice or thrice a week.
Doing this activity will surely improve your traffic because you are promoting your best pins which are already driving traffic to your blog.
If you are really serious about Pinterest traffic and want to master it, then I highly recommend “Pinterest Strategies“.
This is a great course on Pinterest which is based on manual pinning. I have literally increased my traffic up to 7-8 times by following the methods in this course.
You can read my personal experience regarding this course here.
Final Note – Pinterest Marketing Strategy
I hope by now, you have learned something new about Pinterest Marketing Strategy. These tips have worked for me & I am pretty sure that it will work for you as well.
Pinterest is about consistency. If you are consistent, you will definitely see the result. But if you are not doing it regularly, then the result may fluctuate.
So, now my question is what are the strategies you have been using to drive traffic to your blog using Pinterest?
Do let me know & also make sure to pin and share this article.
- Newbie Guide – How to start using Pinterest to drive massive traffic
- 5 Pinterest mistakes that you shouldn’t do