Affiliate Marketing is the major source of income for the majority of bloggers. But many newbie bloggers strive to make a single dollar.
The reason they fail because they don’t have a strategy. Affiliate Marketing isn’t easy. People don’t wanna buy something from a stranger until your article is ranking on the first page of Google.
When I started blogging, I knew nothing about Affiliate Marketing. I just randomly wrote an article, inserted my affiliate links & expected sales to come. But guess what, I didn’t make any sale. Even nobody clicked on my affiliate links.
It was demotivating but I didn’t give up and continued to educate myself. Then, I practically applied those strategies on my blog and I slowly saw some sales.
I went from nothing to making over $3700 in my first 6 months of blogging. I know, it is not too much but the happiness it gave me was priceless. Right now, my revenue is increasing monthly wise.
Let me tell you, it wasn’t easy. I have worked so hard to achieve it. This includes working 15 hrs/day and taking various online courses, webinars etc. But you don’t have to worry because you got my back.
I will be writing about all my strategies which I learned over the past 6 months of blogging about affiliate marketing. I named this guide as “Affiliate Marketing For Dummies“.
The reason behind this name is that even if you don’t know anything about Affiliate marketing, you will get to know a lot of stuff and strategies about it.
So, sit on your couch, relax and go through all the topics which I am sharing here.
This post contains affiliate links. To know more, check out my disclosure page.
Table Of Contents
- What is Affiliate Marketing?
- What are the benefits of Affiliate Marketing?
- Things to do before starting Affiliate Marketing
- Best tips for Affiliate Marketing
- How to find affiliate programs as per your niche?
- Affiliate Marketing Programs For Beginners
- Types of post that make affiliate sales
What Is Affiliate Marketing?
As this is Affiliate Marketing for dummies guide, I will start with the basic.
It is a marketing strategy where a blogger promotes a product or service for another company. To promote their stuff, blogger receives an affiliate link from the said company.
If someone purchases the product through that affiliate link, you get a commission for it, So, it’s a win-win situation for both blogger and company as you are getting commission and the company is getting a new member plus sale.
Still confused, let’s take an example.
You are a Digital Marketing blogger and you wrote a post about a web host. But before writing, you signed up for their affiliate program and received an affiliate link.
After including that link on your post, you are getting a good amount of clicks. Now one person just bought that web host which you suggested.
Guess what, you received $50 as a commission for referring a member. So it is a win-win situation as you received $50 and the company got a new member who paid for that web host.
I hope you got the point. Good, give me a High Five :p
What Are The Benefits Of Affiliate Marketing?
I have seen many people asking what are the benefits of affiliate marketing in the blogosphere. Well, the answer to this question has many answers. Didn’t get it? Just have a look.
- Earn Money while you sleep – One of the advantages of doing affiliate marketing is that you can make passive income. Let me ask you, how does it feel when you wake up in the morning and check your emails only to find out that you made $$$ while you were asleep. Yeah, it is a great feeling but to reach such a point, you need to do hard + smart work.
- No need to create your own product – Even though creating your own product is good to earn money, but it takes a lot of effort to create own stuff. That’s when you can praise affiliate marketing as you just need to promote others product and earn a commission.
- You are your own boss – Yes, you can be your own boss and you don’t have to rely on your 9-5 job once you are settled with Affiliate marketing. This means you can plan to take long vacation and travel to different places without depending on the location-based jobs.
- Increasing Income – By joining multiple numbers of affiliate programs, you can multiply your income within months and it keeps on increasing as your traffic grows.
So, these are some of the benefits you get. But in order to succeed, you should have a strategy and good targeted traffic that converts. Without it, you won’t see much results.
Things To Do Before Starting Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing doesn’t mean writing a post and sticking it up with affiliate links. You won’t see any results. Instead, you need to build a foundation before doing anything.
You need to look it like a business and one needs to be committed to it. There are no shortcuts to make money. The secret behind a successful business is smart + hard work and patience.
So, in short, you need to build a foundation by considering following points.
- Set up a blog – It’s time to say bye to your host and adopt a self-hosted platform. I recommend going for either Siteground or A2 Hosting as both of them are really good & gives better loading speed which is crucial for SEO. For domain, you can go with GoDaddy as they provide great deals & discounts on domain names.
- Write helpful content for your readers – Your content will decide whether your audience wants to buy your affiliate product or not. Thus, you need to write such contents that are helpful to your audience and provide valuable information. If your content satisfies their need, they are more likely to buy the products.
- Promotion Strategy – Promotion is a critical part of Affiliate marketing. Think about it, what if people don’t know about your blog or your content, then how do they buy your product. That’s when promotion plays a crucial role. For that, you need to find where your target audience resides and that’s where you need to promote your content. It can be Pinterest boards, Facebook groups, Google plus communities or Linkedin Groups.
- Learn SEO – You should at least learn basic SEO that can be applied while writing content. It is best that you should know about On-Page SEO strategies, Off-Page SEO & how to build backlinks which will surely help you to rank articles on Google. If it ranks on the first page, then congrats, you will be driving highly targeted traffic towards your affiliate products.
- Add a Disclaimer – The last thing you should never forget is to add a disclaimer before adding any affiliate links which makes everything legal. According to FTC, you need to inform your readers if you are being compensated for anything they click on. So, always include a disclaimer in your post.
Best Tips For Affiliate Marketing For Dummies
If you want to earn cash, then you need to target the right kind of audience who are more likely to buy from you. It’s better to get a targeted traffic of 100 visitors per day rather than having 1000 untargeted visitors because the conversion rate is more in case of right kind of audience.
Concluding to it, make sure you pay attention to the following points to make most affiliate sales from your blog post.
- Targeting Right Keyword – Ranking article on Google is the best thing you can do to make affiliate sales. For this, it is necessary that you should choose low competition keyword with decent to high search volume. Also make sure that your target keyword should include buying keywords such as Best, Top, Cheap, Review, Coupon etc because people usually use such terms when they want to buy something. I have an article where you can learn how to analyze keyword competition and choose the right one.
- Include Call-To-Action – It is necessary to tell your readers what they need to do after reading your content. Whether it is buying or signing up, you need to mention it so that the readers will take action for the same. Therefore, don’t forget to add a Call-To-Action at the end of your post.
- Content-Language – Your article language shouldn’t sound like boring. Instead, you need to opt for different style through which you can connect with your target audience. It can be humor wise or storytelling. You see, we feel more connected to people who are like us. So always consider, as if you are talking to your audience in real life by highlighting their problems and giving solutions for it.
- Focus On Helping Rather Than Selling The Product – You don’t want to sound as if you want to sell your product. Instead, your main focus should be helping your audience rather than selling. If they trust you and finds your content helpful, they will automatically buy your stuff.
- Make Your Content Unique – There are many similar articles like yours and I am pretty sure your audience might be reading the same stuff from different sources. So you need to make sure that your article is unique which will keep your readers engaged. For that, you can include infographics, Youtube video, add research or personal experiences.
- Provide high-quality content – This is one of the most important things you need to consider while writing your content. You need to provide a high-value content that your audience will love to read. Normally if you check anything on Google, the first-page search result articles are usually more than 1000 – 1500 words. If you write a well-detailed content with SEO, then your chances of ranking on Google is more. What this means is, automatically your article will be driving targeted traffic from the search engine and thus you are most likely to make sales.
By adopting all these points, you will see that your conversion rate will definitely increase and you will be making more money out of it.
How To Find Affiliate Programs As Per Your Niche
Bloggers have a hard time finding the right kind of affiliate programs that are related to their niche and at the same time being profitable. To simplify it, I am sharing some of the ways through which you can find them
- Join Affiliate Networks – This is the first way through which you can find affiliate programs that are niche based. Affiliate networks act as a bridge between the publisher (you) and actual programs. You just need to join them and find products as per your niche.
- Google it – This is the simplest method which you can do to find affiliate programs based on your niche. All you need to do is simply type “Affiliate programs for Gardening” (Replace it with your niche) and Google will show all the related affiliate programs. Also, if you know any company that is based on your niche, then you can simply type “Company name affiliate program”. So, if the said company is offering any program, then it will surely pop up on Google search & you can join them.
- Stalk bloggers on your niche – Hold on, here stalk word is not meant in a negative way. What I am trying to tell is that there are many successful bloggers in your niche. You only need to visit their blog and check out what are the programs they are promoting and making money of. This will give you an idea about which programs to join and what are their potentials.
Affiliate Marketing Programs For Beginners
Following are some of the best affiliate networks and programs which you can join & start making some money. I have been using a few of them.
- Amazon Associates
- Rakuten Marketing
- CJ Affiliate
- Awin (you will need to make a deposit of $5 before joining which is refundable)
Types Of Post That Make Affiliate Sales
After you are approved for affiliate programs, its time to write a blog post in order to promote the product. But simply writing a post will not give you much sale. Instead, you need to concentrate on certain post types that will give you the most result.
By the way, if you are not good at writing or don’t have enough time due to multiple blogs, you can simply hire writers from Hirewriters website to write articles for you. They deliver high-quality content at a very cheap price.
Following are some types of post that do well with affiliate marketing. Targeting your product by using any one of them will surely give you better results.
- Review Post – In this type of post, all you need to do is write a review about the product. The review must be genuine and it shouldn’t sound like you are selling something. You need to portray both the good and bad side of the targeted product. But most importantly, you must have used that product before writing the review.
- List-post – These types of post are really good for those who are not good at writing. You may have seen list post on Google with the phrase such as “10 Best” or “10 Top”. If you are using a number of tools for blogging, you can combine them and make an article out of it with the title such as “10 Best Tools For Bloggers”. Through list post, you can target any number of product at once within a single blog post. For example – I have written a blog post based on the same strategy “11 best tools & resources for bloggers“.
- Comparison Post – In this type of post, you basically compare two products who do the same work. For example – a comparison post between Bluehost & Siteground or a comparison post between Namecheap & Godaddy will be great to promote both the products. You are also not bound to only two products at a time.
Wrapping Up – Affiliate Marketing For Dummies 2018
So that’s it, guys. I hope my Affiliate marketing for dummies guide will give you a better understanding of affiliate marketing. So just build a strategy first and then implement it on your blog which will give you success in a long run.
That’s it. If you have any question, you can either contact me or you can comment here. I will be more happy to answer you. Cheers.