When you click the links and ads on this blog, it helps me to pay the bills & keep this site free for you. Thanks for supporting me! For more info, read the Disclosure page.
Are you thinking of selling your old used books to make a few bucks? You might have heard about BookScouter.
BookScouter is not your usual bookselling website. Instead, it’s a little different and better than most, which can give you great deals and save your time.
Read on for my BookScouter Review to figure out how.
BookScouter Quick Review 2021
What is BookScouter?
BookScouter helps you to sell regular & used books & textbooks for the best price available. It is more like an agent that scouts over 30 buyback book vendors and list them collectively with prices and ratings.
All the vendors listed offer the best deal, and you can sell your book to the one that provides the best price.
For scouting, the BookScouter algorithm uses the book’s ISBN (unique book identifier number) found in the first or last pages.
As of now, BookScouter only supports U.S residents, and they don’t offer international shipping.
Who is BookScouter For?
BookScouter is useful for three types of people.
- People looking to sell old books to make space
- Side Hustlers
Students can sell the old used textbooks, whereas regular people can use BookScouter to thin out their shelves by selling them in bulk. Both of them can make extra money by getting rid of unwanted books.
With Side Hustlers, they can buy used books in bulk from a Thrift store or Garage sales and sell them in BookScouter to make a profit. (more on that later).
Is BookScouter Legit?
Yes, BookScouter is a legit platform to sell your books to make a bit of an extra income.
But if we look at it, BookScouter is just a platform used to compare prices from different vendors in a single place.
It neither buys your book nor sells it by itself. So, whether you face any problem related to payment or shipment, you need to talk to the vendor instead of BookScouter.
However, the good thing is BookScouter lists only legit and popular vendors. They have a separate vendor’s page that lists all the vendors with the user reviews. Reading the reviews can give you a clear idea of how trustworthy and helpful vendors are.
To conclude, you can trust BookScouter to find great deals as it’s definitely not a scam site.
Benefits of Using BookScouter (Top reasons)
1. Save Time Instead of Visiting Several Websites
Usually, when you want to sell your used books online, you visit different bookselling websites and lookup for deals. If you find a good one, you sell them. That’s what people have been doing.
The problem with this process is that it’s time-consuming because you have to browse several websites, which is kind of annoying. However, with BookScouter, you can completely eradicate this problem.
All you have to do is search your book, and within a few seconds, you can view a list of over 30 vendors with the best deal and vendor rating on one page. Then all you need to do is – choose the best vendor & sell them.
To conclude, you can find all the info on one page without visiting several sites. Thus saving a lot of time.
2. Easier To Find The Best Deal
When everything is listed on one page, you don’t have to switch your tabs to check the best deals site-by-site. Thus, it becomes more manageable for you to compare the deals and choose the best one.
That’s why BookScouter is quite a user-friendly website for finding the best deal.
3. Identify the Best Vendor With Ratings
Another significant thing about BookScouter is that they show you the ratings of each vendor rated by genuine users. With the help of ratings, you can predict how good their service is.
Sometimes, when vendors have a low rating, it could mean that they release the payment late or even never pay you back. A low rating can be an alarming thing, even if they are offering the best price.
A good rule of thumb to use BookScouter is to consider both price and ratings while choosing the vendor.
For example, if two vendors offer $5 & $9 for your used book, having a rating of 4.5 stars and 2 stars. It’s better to go with the first vendor ($5 & 4.5 stars) as they are more trustworthy.
4. Free Shipping
Most vendors listed on BookScouter offer free shipping. They provide you with a prepaid shipping label you need to download and print, followed by packing and ship it to the vendor.
5. Great Arbitrage Opportunity
If you like to make extra money every month, you can use BookScouter as an arbitrage opportunity.
Arbitrage is a trade where you buy & sell an asset to gain profit from the price difference between markets. The same opportunity you get here.
All you have to do is buy books in bulk from the thrift store at a cheap price and sell them at a higher margin on BookScouter.
But first, you need to check the price here before buying them from Thrift Stores because most of them aren’t worth it. If you simply purchase books without checking, you could end up at a loss.
Although it takes a little practice to know which books are profitable, you can develop the skill once you have sold a few times.
How Do You Make Money On BookScouter?
Till now, we have seen what BookScouter is, who can use it, the Pros & cons, and its benefits.
Now, let us jump into the process of how to sell books to make some cash.
- First, visit the BookScouter official website and enter the ISBN of your book. As an example, I am using a random book with ISBN 978-0136642961.
- Once I hit the search button, you can see currently there are two deals from BooksRun & Ziffit.
- When I check the price and rating, I can easily make out that BooksRun is more trustable with a much better deal than other vendors.
- Once I know where to sell, click the Sell button to redirect you to the vendor’s website, i.e., BooksRun in my case.
- Then follow the shipping instructions and ship your book. Most of the vendors offer free shipping. So keep an eye on it.
- Ensure you pack your books pretty well, so there is no chance of any damage. In case your books get damaged, either you get paid less, or the vendor will not buy them.
- Once they receive the book, they will credit the amount on your account via PayPal or check. PayPal takes 3 days, whereas a check can take anywhere from one to two weeks.
The striking thing is, the entire process has a flaw, and it’s not related to BookScouter. Instead, the defect is with vendors.
Most vendors need a minimum order price to proceed further. If you look in my case, I am selling my book at $3 on BooksRun.com, but I could not sell them unless I have a minimum order of $15.
This means I have to add more books to increase my order price until it reaches $15. It is bad news for people looking to sell a single book. But, selling books in bulk will not have any problem.
How Much Does BookScouter Cost?
Usually, a free account is enough for you to sell your books. But if you need extra features, you can buy their pro plan at $29.99.
With the pro plan,
- You can find potential deals by viewing the pricing information of the vendors.
- You can lookup bulk prices for several books on one page. Though, there are some limits.
- You get to access a notification feature that notifies you whenever any vendor is ready to buy your book at your specified price. For example, if you want to sell 10 books at a specific price, BookScouter will notify you whenever it finds a vendor.
- You also get access to a buyback tracking feature that allows you to track the books you have sent to the vendors. With this feature, you can save all your transaction information and generate account receivable reports.
Pro Plan is better for side hustlers who will be buying books in bulk for selling them, whereas a free plan is great for those who want to get rid of extra books from their room.
Tips to Make More Money On BookScouter
Here are a few tips to follow to make the most out of BookScouter.
1. Sell at the Right Time
The best time to sell your textbooks is when it has a high demand. Usually, it happens at the beginning of each semester, i.e., August 20th through August 26th and January 7th through January 13th.
If you’re planning to sell college books, this is the right time to make a good profit.
2. Use History BuyBack Price Lookup Feature
BookScouter offers a tool that shows the price history of books & you can only get access to it when you sign up.
With this tool, you can look up the seasonal pricing and trends when the books had the maximum price. Thus, it can give you a clear idea of when to sell them.
The price Lookup tool shows the maximum & average price for each day considering all the vendors. It also provides a graph for visual illustration.
For example, when I looked for a book price history, I can easily see the best day when it had the highest bid. i.e., July 15th, 2019. Likewise, you can also see the list of prices for each day.
3. Always Check the Price First and Then Buy
This tip is for people looking for an Arbitrage opportunity.
As you’ll be buying books in bulk, you don’t want to be at any loss. That’s why before purchasing any book, make sure you check the price on BookScouter.
If the selling price is less than you’re buying price from the Thrift store. It’s best to drop the idea and look for other books.
BookScouter Review – Pros & Cons
- BookScouter is pretty straightforward and easy to use.
- Though they offer a pro membership at $29.99 that gives access to additional features, you can still use them for free.
- It quickly scans the book and finds suitable vendors instantly, saving a lot of time.
- Most of the deals from vendors offer low prices. But you can get a great deal if you sell it at the right time.
- BookScouter is only available in the US.
- The buyback book vendors don’t support international shipping.
Final Verdict – BookScouter Review 2021
So, the next time whenever you think of throwing away your books, consider scouting on BookScouter.
Not only can you make some extra money in your free time, but you can also clear up your shelves for new books to come.
Now, let me know, what do you think about BookScouter? Drop your comments down below.