Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you buy or sign-up through one of those links, you won’t pay a penny more but we’ll get a small commission that helps us in running this blog. Read the Disclosure page.
Are you really interested in making a nice side income every week just for delivering food?
Well, if you’re, then you might be interested in reading this DoorDash Driver review.
If you are a student or a person looking to add an extra source of income, then food delivery jobs is not a bad idea because it is flexible and you can do this job anytime you want on your own schedule.
I know there are many questions running in your mind whether it is really worth your time, is it really profitable or is it just another scam?
Well, all your confusion will get cleared once you go through this DoorDash driver review. So, grab a cup of coffee and make yourself comfortable.
What is DoorDash?
DoorDash is an On Demand logistics based startup, that acts as an intermediary between food merchants and the customers who wish to get products from local food merchants or restaurants delivered at their doorstep.
This gives you an opportunity to work as a Dasher (delivery boy) whose job is to deliver food from the merchant to the customers.
How To Get Started With DoorDash?
Before joining, you need to make sure whether you pass their minimum requirement which includes:
- minimum age of 18 years or more.
- should have any vehicle like a car, scooter, or bicycle in selected cities.
- driver’s license and insurance (if you are using a car)
- Social security number (only in the US)
- consent to a background check.
If you fulfill these requirements, you can click here and sign-up for an account.
While signing up, you’ll be prompted to disclose your mode of transportation so they know how you are going to deliver orders.
If you are using a car, you need to share the type of car and submit your license.
Once done, DoorDash will perform a background check at no extra cost to you.
If you pass, they will accept your application and your account will get activated within 1-2 weeks (usually 3-5 days).
You’ll also receive a starter kit within a few business days via mail.
What Will Be Included in The Starter Kit?
Your starter kit will have:
- A DoorDash insulated bag to keep food warm during dashing.
- A Red Card which is a credit card used to pay for DoorDash orders when prompted by the app. This card is not linked to your bank account.
Once you receive your starter kit, open the DoorDash app and activate your account.
To activate your Red card, you need to use the last four-digit and “delight number” of your card.
How Does DoorDash Driver Works?
We can summarize the whole process in just 4 steps.
1. View Available Orders
DoorDash will send you available orders as notification that you need to accept within 45 seconds. You can view the total distance and pay before accepting any order.
2. Accept Orders
Once you accept the order, you can use your phone to get directions to the restaurant where you have to swipe in the app to confirm that you reached.
3. Pickup & Drop Off
Swipe once again when you pick-up the delivery so that both the app and the customer knows that you are on the way.
Then follow the direction using the app to deliver the food to the customer. Sometimes, you will also find notes from the customer to help you find their home.
You can also communicate with them via text or phone call in case you are having trouble finding their home.
4. Complete The Order & Start New One
When you deliver the food, swipe in the app again to confirm so that the DoorDash app will provide you with the next orders and you can accept them as they come through.
What Cost Do You Cover?
DoorDash hires you as an independent contractor which means you have to manage a few expenses on your own.
You should manage expenses such as vehicle gas, phone data, vehicle insurance and wear or tear on your vehicle.
How DoorDash Pay Works?
The DoorDash pay model depends on base pay, promotion, and tips.
1. Base Pay
Base pay is the base contribution for each order that ranges from $2-$10 depending on the estimated time, distance, and desirability of the order.
Usually, orders that require you to travel long-distance, takes more time & are less popular with dashers pays more.
2. Promotion Pay
Promotion is the additional payment you receive for orders that meet certain criteria such as peak pay, challenges, and drives.
a. Peak Pay
Peak pay is usually available during the busy time i.e. during lunch (not everytime) & dinner. It gets to add up to your base pay.
Challenges are the extra incentives paid based on completing a certain number of deliveries in a set amount of time. For example, DoorDash will pay an extra $20 for completing 15 deliveries in a week.
Drive pay is the extra money added (where applicable) when you deliver orders in time.
Tips are the extra money you receive from the customer for your timely delivery & friendly customer behavior.
Being a Dasher, you can keep 100% of tips along with the base pay and promotions.
To conclude, your total earnings is the total of Base Pay, Promotion & Tips where you’ll always earn base pay. However, Promotion and Tips vary by delivery.
Dashers get paid on a weekly basis for all the deliveries completed in the previous week.
How Much Do You Really Make With DoorDash?
On the DoorDash website, they advertise that you will earn anywhere from $15-$25/hour.
But is this really true? Will everyone earn the same numbers if they decide to become a Dasher?
Well, your pay depends on the complexity of orders, how many orders you are completing, your working city, are restaurants taking a lot of time to prepare orders, are there any busy hours, etc.
So, it’s hard to answer a fixed pay.
There are many dashers satisfied with the pay and there are some dashers who are not much satisfied. Maybe they expected more.
When I read through several Dasher’s experience, I read both the positive and negative.
One user from Indeed.com says that he has delivered over 1000 orders and the pay is amazing. He gets regularly $25 an hour, and it only takes $5 of gas to make $25 from his v6 car. Overall, he makes $20 an hour. Not bad, right?
Another dasher reported that he is making less than $10 an hour. Some said that they are making enough to pay their bills and others are not at all satisfied.
So, like every money-making program, it has its pros and cons. The best way to find out whether it is profitable to you is to try it out and see where it goes.
Another great thing about DoorDash is that they are rapidly adding more cities and more restaurants under their belt which means more users and more potential to earn.
Is DoorDash Available In My City?
DoorDash is currently available in over 4000 cities in all 50 U.S states, over 80 cities in Canada; and Melbourne, Australia. It is growing rapidly.
What is Dashers Reward Program?
Dashers reward program is a pilot program that rewards the best dasher at the end of the month.
Qualifying dashers will receive special benefits on the 1st of each month only if they meet the following criteria.
- Customer rating of at least 4.7
- Completion rate of at least 95% (Number of orders completed after accepting it)
- Acceptance rate of at least 70%* (It is the percentage of the jobs you accept relative to the number of jobs DoorDash offers to you)
- 100 completed deliveries during the last month
- At least 200 lifetime deliveries completed
As this is a pilot program, it is available in few regions.
Tips To Use DoorDash Efficiently
The following are some tips based on several Dashers experience.
- Always choose your orders nearby unless it’s paying good enough. For example, if there is an order paying $7 for 10 miles distance and another order paying $5 for 2 miles distance, it’s best to choose the second one.
- Time is money. You should know your zone well so you can follow shortcuts to save time.
- Always work in peak hours i.e. lunch and dinner time. That’s the time you can expect a lot of orders.
- It’s better to schedule your dashing activity in advance.
- You can even accept more than one order at a time. For example, if you have accepted an order from one restaurant and you can see another order from the same restaurant, you can accept & complete both of them at the same time. This helps you earn more in less time.
- Avoid taking orders from those restaurants that are slow & mean to dashers.
- Avoid spamming text to your customers. Only text them when you are going to be late.
- Make sure that your vehicle is clean because nobody wants to see a dirty vehicle delivering their food.
- Friday to Monday are the most profitable days. So, ensure you use these days wisely.
- You can request extra pay in case a customer incorrectly gives the wrong address and you’re already there.
- Track your expenses & mileage for taxes.
DoorDash Pros & Cons
- Free to join.
- You can still join DoorDash even if you don’t own a car.
- You can set your own schedule. Work anytime you want.
- Surge pricing gives higher pay (vary by region)
- Most of the customers are polite and nice.
- Be your own boss.
- A lot of time is spent waiting around at restaurants for orders.
- Surge pricing is only available during peak hours i.e. dinner and sometimes lunch.
- You have to bear your own expenses for gas and wear or tear of your vehicle.
- You must pay your own taxes at year-end as an independent contractor
Other Alternatives To DoorDash
DoorDash may be good for certain regions where you can get a lot of orders but there will be a few areas where you’ll struggle to get orders.
In such scenarios, it’s better to use similar apps or alternatives that do the same job.
There are basically 3 best alternatives to DoorDash that you can use along with it.
Should You Become a Dasher?
It’s a great side hustle, but it’s definitely not for everyone.
If you are looking for a nice side gig, then you’ll definitely enjoy DoorDash whereas Dashing for a full-time is not a good idea.
There are many things you should consider before making your final decision to join DoorDash.
If you know your area well with all the way around your city, you will definitely find it easier to deliver your orders.
Dashing depends a lot on your common sense because there will be a lot of times where you need to make a decision on the spot.
Be prepared to face some situations where you will be asked to deliver food on the 30th floor.
You may have to park your vehicle a block away from the delivery spot that will suck your time. So, it’s better to avoid such orders when you gain some experience.
Some areas will have a lot of scope for deliveries whereas some areas will have only a few.
But on the brighter side, it’s not a tough job and you can easily make good money as part-time.
If you are someone who loves driving and helping people, you’ll definitely enjoy dashing.
It’s one of the genuine jobs that will pay out what you put in. All you need is a proper time management, good work ethics, and discipline.
DoorDash won’t let you down but you need to do your part.
Conclusion – DoorDash Driver Review 2019
With flexible schedules and many perks, DoorDash is surely a great side hustle to make extra money every month.
Though I won’t suggest you do it full time, but if you are looking for a great medium to make extra money along with your job or studies, then DoorDash is no doubt a great option.
Good luck if you made up your mind in becoming a Dasher. Have a nice day!