When you click the links and ads on this blog, it helps me to pay the bills & keep this site free for you. Thanks for supporting me! For more info, read the Disclosure page.
Are you thinking about purchasing Proofreading Academy’s “Becoming a Proofreader” course but aren’t sure if it’s worthwhile?
In this Proofreading Academy review, I will go over every important point that anyone considering purchasing this course should be aware of.
I’ll give you an overview of the course first, followed by some reasons why you should buy it and some reasons why you shouldn’t.
If that sounds interesting, let’s begin with the overview.
- Section 1: Overview
- What is Proofreading Academy?
- Who Should Buy This Course?
- Is the Proofreading Academy Legit?
- What Do You Require to Complete the Course?
- What’s Included in the Proofreading Academy’s Course?
- What is Proofed?
- What is Proofreading Academy’s Final Assessment (Exam)?
- How Much Does The Proofreading Academy Cost?
- Section 2: 7 Reasons to Purchase the Proofreading Academy Course
- Section 3: 3 Reasons Not to Purchase the Proofreading Academy Course
- Which One is Better – Proofreading Academy vs Proofread Anywhere?
- Is the Proofreading Academy Worth it?
- Read Next:
- Pin it for Later:
Section 1: Overview
What is Proofreading Academy?
Proofreading Academy is a digital proofreading and editing training program developed by Proofed professionals.
If you don’t know who they are?
This company has been editing and proofreading since 2010.
Their flagship course, “Becoming a Proofreader,” is designed to TRANSFORM students from complete beginners to confident trained professionals within a month.
The people behind the course are quite professional and have years of experience in what they do. You can click here to see their entire team.
Who Should Buy This Course?
Though the course is suitable for everyone, the people listed below will benefit the most from it.
- Interested in pursuing a career as a proofreader.
- Looking for a second source of income to supplement their primary income.
- Looking for a way to work from home so that they can leave their 9-5 job.
- Students looking for a way to earn money to cover their expenses.
- A digital nomad travelling the world
- Interested in brushing up their proofreading skills.
If you fall into any of these categories, this course is for you.
Is the Proofreading Academy Legit?
Yes, Proofreading Academy is a legitimate program that has assisted many students in pursuing a career as a proofreader. It has mostly positive reviews online. At the time of writing, it has a WHOPPING rating of 4.7/5 based on 326 TrustPilot reviews.
The Proofreading Academy is not a scam out to steal your money.
I say this because they’ll give you a 14-day refund from the time of purchase if you don’t like their content. They are also willing to offer a three-month payment plan to those who are unable to pay upfront.
All of these points are sufficient to prove that Proofreading Academy is a legitimate course that genuinely cares about its students.
What Do You Require to Complete the Course?
There are only three things you’ll need, and they’re likely to be in everyone’s home.
- Laptop or desktop PC
- A good internet connection.
- Microsoft Word (version 2016 or later)
Please keep in mind that the course contains two Microsoft Word components. As a result, you must have Microsoft Word installed on your computer rather than another word processor.
If you already have it, that’s AWESOME! But if you don’t, there will be an additional cost.
What’s Included in the Proofreading Academy’s Course?
If you’re eager to know what is in store for you, here are the modules taught in the course.
- Module 1 – Proofreading and Editing
- Module 2 – The Basics of Microsoft Word
- Module 3 – Common Spelling Mistakes
- Module 4 – Common Grammar Mistakes
- Module 5 – Common Punctuation Mistakes
- Module 6 – Other Common Errors
- Module 7 – Proofreading In Practice: Style
- Module 8 – Advanced Formatting in Microsoft Word
- Module 9 – Academic Proofreading
- Module 10 – Academic Proofreading: Referencing And Citations
- Module 11 – Creative Writing And The Publishing Industry
- Module 12 – Proofreading Business Writing
- Module 13 – Finding Work And The Final Assignment
The course is structured in both text and video format, with examples and images as needed.
At the end of each module, you will have to complete a non-graded assessment. This is a great way to assess your progress and identify your weak points so you can address them before moving forward.
The course can take anywhere between 45 and 50 hours to complete. However, if you devote more time to it each day, you will be able to complete it sooner.
I recommend not rushing things and instead committing to a few hours per day. This is a more efficient way of learning a skill.
Here are some more things to expect from this course.
- The course includes mid-module quizzes to test your knowledge. These are not graded, and you can take them as many times as you want.
- There are also end-of-module quizzes to test your knowledge. These quizzes are also not graded and can be taken as many times as you like.
- You can also download the end-of-module exercises and proofread them in Microsoft Word. When you’re finished, download the Proofreading Academy’s version to compare the results.
- If you score 80% or higher on their final assessment, you will be given GUARANTEED work with Proofed. (More on this later.)
- After completing the entire course, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion.
- All of the content is updated on a regular basis, so you can be sure you’re getting the most up-to-date information.
- Whenever you need to discuss a problem related to the course content, you can always chat with a tutor. (I’ll explain in more detail later.)
Now let’s talk about Proofed, the company that will hire you.
What is Proofed?
Proofed is a partner company of Proofreading Academy, a well-known international network of freelance proofreading businesses.
They are currently running three businesses for three different countries.
Among the services they offer are proofreading, editing, and formatting for students and professionals in a wide range of fields.
When you finish the course with an 80% or more score, you can start working with them on smaller documents and work your way up to larger, more lucrative projects.
All the earnings are paid to you via bank transfer at the end of the month.
What Happens After Joining Proofed?
Before you can begin working with them, you must first complete an online onboarding session. It may take a few days (or even two weeks) for one to become available.
After completing the session, you will have access to Proofed’s queue, where you can begin taking documents to work on.
You will begin with a trial period in which your word count will be limited to 750 words for the first 10 documents or so.
Shorter documents don’t appear often and in high demand, so you must accept them as soon as they appear.
If you complete your trial period, your word count will be increased. This could happen before the first ten documents.
Overall, passing the trial period will take some time, so be patient.
What is Proofreading Academy’s Final Assessment (Exam)?
It is the final test you need to complete after going through the entire module.
In addition to practicing your newly acquired proofreading skills, this test will give you an opportunity to work at Proofed. The only requirement is that you need to score at least 80% within three attempts.
What I like best about them is that the tutors provide appropriate feedback after each attempt. So you’ll know what went wrong and what you can do better the next time.
You will also have the opportunity to participate in tutoring sessions prior to the test.
The assessment consists of two proofreading tests and one formatting test. It will be marked and graded with feedback within 7–10 business days.
So, you must be patient to know the final result.
How Much Does The Proofreading Academy Cost?
Proofreading Academy offers a free trial period to help you decide whether the course is right for you. If it serves your purpose, you can proceed with their plans.
- Their flagship course, “Becoming a Proofreader,” costs $399. It used to be $295, but they’ve since added more content.
- If you can’t afford the full amount right away, you can request a three-month payment plan by contacting them.
Unlike other courses, Proofreading Academy offers three additional courses in addition to their flagship course.
- Academic Proofreading – $75
- Basic Business Proofreading – $75
- Mastering Microsoft Word – $75
These three courses are actually modules from their main course, “Becoming a Proofreader.”
But why are they selling it separately when it’s already part of their main course?
Actually, some people already know how to proofread, but there may be a few things they aren’t aware of.
For example, if I know how to proofread but don’t know how to use Microsoft Word effectively, I’d rather buy their short course than the entire flagship course.
This way, I can save money while learning a specific skill rather than learning everything I already know.
If you’re interested, you can try their free trial below.
Section 2: 7 Reasons to Purchase the Proofreading Academy Course
Now, let’s take a look at some of the advantages you will get from this course.
1. Guaranteed Job Following Course Completion
As discussed before, if you’re able to score 80% or more on their final assessment within three attempts, you’re given a guaranteed job with Proofed.
Now, no company will give such a fantastic opportunity to a recent graduate.
The fact that they are willing to hire someone who completed their course with higher grades demonstrates how much they BELIEVE in their education system.
They are confident that any student who completes their entire course will be able to handle and complete proofreading assignments with flying colors.
2. Receive the Certificate of Completion
Some clients would like to know your qualifications before working with you, so they can be confident that their projects are in good hands.
In that case, you can show them the Proofreading Academy certificate to prove your credibility. Furthermore, you can use this certificate to attract clients by uploading it to your business website or freelance platforms.
This way, you can get more eyeballs than someone who does not have a certificate.
3. Mostly Positive Reviews
When I checked people’s opinions about this course on Reddit and TrustPilot as part of my research, I was mostly overwhelmed with positive feedback.
On Reddit, I came across a few opinions. Even though it’s been around for a while, this is still relevant.
There are more comments like this on Reddit, but they are too long to attach here. So, if you want, you can do your own research.
Talking about TrustPilot, the course has mostly positive reviews, with a few negative ones thrown in for good measure. You can click here to read all the reviews.
To be honest, no course can completely satisfy everyone. There will be some people who experience difficulties. So, ignoring that, Proofreading Academy has satisfied the investment of many students.
4. Responsive Support Team
I always think about how much support I’ll get if I make an investment in a course.
Is there email support or, better yet, phone support?
If I can’t find better assistance, I’ll reconsider my decision. That’s because when you enroll in a course, many doubts will arise while completing it.
As a result, you need someone who can clear up all your concerns so you are left with no problems.
Gladly, Proofreading Academy is happy to assist you with their FANTASTIC customer support.
- When you sign up for the course, you’ll get all the contact info via email. So you’ll have their email, phone number, and even live chat support handy. Use them to discuss course-related issues and clear up any confusion.
- If you want to schedule a call, the link in the email will take you directly to a calendar page where you can choose a day and time.
- Can’t decide if the course is worthwhile before buying it? The support team will gladly answer your questions and assist you in making a firm decision.
- The best part is that you can expect a response to your support request within 1-2 days.
- Finally, once you have completed your final assessment, the tutors will provide detailed feedback. This way, you’ll be able to identify your strengths and weaknesses so you can work on it.
Overall, you won’t be disappointed with their support system because it is among the best!
5. Learn to Proofread in Different English Dialects
While other courses teach you how to proofread only American English, Proofreading Academy takes one step ahead.
You will be able to proofread American, British, and Australian English. You will know the differences between them in accents, pronunciation, and spelling.
The benefit is that you are not limited to only one English dialect. This means your job opportunities will be better than those of other proofreaders who only work in one dialect.
In simple words,
Proofreading in three different English dialects = More job opportunities = More money
6. Learn How to Proofread Different Types of Documents
Proofreaders are exposed to a variety of documents, including academic, creative, and business. There’s a good chance they’ll have to deal with texts written by non-native English speakers as well.
In that case, you must be familiar with such documents.
Fortunately, Proofreading Academy teaches you all of these in their modules, especially academic. You’ll be able to identify, comment on, and correct the most common writing errors in them easily.
- You’ll have more job opportunities because you won’t be limited to a single type of document.
- You will have an advantage over other proofreaders who are only able to work with one type of copy.
Fun Fact: Academic documents and non-native English-speaking documents are two of the biggest markets for proofreaders. So that’s a big win for you!
7. Learn How to Proofread by Using Different Software
A good proofreader is someone who can proofread documents in a variety of software programs. This is because some clients require the final output to be in Microsoft Word, Google Docs, or PDF format.
So, if you only know how to proofread in Word and the client requires it in PDF, you’ll have issues.
But don’t worry, Proofreading Academy will teach you how to use all three programs quickly and effectively.
You’ll learn how to use Track Changes in Microsoft Word, the Suggesting feature in Google Docs, and Adobe Acrobat Reader to proofread PDFs.
Using these features, you’ll be able to clearly communicate the changes you’ve made. As a result, clients won’t have to squint their eyes in puzzlement. *Yay, a happy customer!*
Section 3: 3 Reasons Not to Purchase the Proofreading Academy Course
When it comes to online courses, not everything is positive. The same is true for Proofreading Academy. Here are a few disappointments.
1. No Information on Starting a Proofreading Business.
If you want to learn proofreading to start your own online business where:
- You have your company website.
- You set your rates.
- You find your clients.
- You promote your business.
Then this course isn’t for you!
Proofreading Academy will only teach you how to proofread various documents and how to work as a freelance proofreader.
If your ultimate goal is to run your own proofreading business, you should consider investing in a different course, such as Proofread Anywhere! (another great course)
2. Proofed Job Opportunities May Get Saturated
There’s no doubt you’ll get a job at Proofed, but there are a few things you should be aware of beforehand.
You see, as more students join Proofed after completing the course, more students will vie to get their hands on a job document before anyone else does.
That’s because it’s a first-come, first-served basis. So, you must be quick in choosing jobs, or else someone else will.
Furthermore, the work volume also varies. As a result, you may see a lot of jobs on one day and fewer on the next.
These two factors can have an impact on your earnings if you purchase the course solely to join Proofed.
On the plus side, it will undoubtedly provide you with your first piece of work experience as a beginner. It will boost your confidence before you start pitching clients and charging higher fees.
3. No Info on Proofreading Symbols
Proofreading symbols are marks that proofreaders make on paper while proofreading. They are used to point out where errors have been made and how a piece of writing can be improved.
Despite the fact that everything is done digitally nowadays, such symbols are rarely used. That’s why Proofreading Academy does not include it on purpose.
However, I believe that including them would have been useful if you needed to proofread them on hard copies.
So, if symbols are what you’re looking for, this course will let you down.
Which One is Better – Proofreading Academy vs Proofread Anywhere?
You can choose Proofread Anywhere if:
- your sole objective is to start a proofreading business and to master the art of proofreading.
- you want to join a supportive Facebook community where all of the students interact and discuss their issues.
- you want access to bonus courses.
Whereas, Proofreading Academy is good for you if:
- you want a guaranteed job.
- you want more training in punctuation, grammar, spelling, and so on, as well as how to edit texts for flow, tone, readability, and style
- you want a less expensive course.
Want to know more? Please read my Proofread Anywhere review, where I go over everything in depth.
Is the Proofreading Academy Worth it?
If you’re serious about pursuing a career in proofreading, this course, along with Proofread Anywhere, is without a doubt one of the best.
But there is one thing you should be aware of.
Unless and until you put in the effort, no course will transform you into what they promise.
Without a doubt, you will receive all of the necessary knowledge and guidelines to ensure your success. But it all comes down to your level of commitment.
If you’re easily discouraged, don’t waste your money on this course. However, if you value your investment and are willing to commit, the Proofreading Academy is well worth your time.
The decision is yours!
- 15 Companies offering proofreading jobs to proofreaders
- 3 Best proofreading course to transform into a professional
Pin it for Later: