When you click the links and ads on this blog, it helps me to pay the bills & keep this site free for you. Thanks for supporting me! For more info, read the Disclosure page.
Update – Please note that Proofreading Academy has been rebranded as Knowadays!
Are you thinking about purchasing Proofreading Academy’s “Becoming a Proofreader” course but aren’t sure if it’s worthwhile?
In this Proofreading Academy review, I will go over every important details that anyone considering purchasing this course should be aware of.
I’ll give you an overview of the course first, followed by some reasons why you should buy it and some reasons why you shouldn’t.
If that sounds interesting, let’s begin with the overview.
- Section 1: Overview
- What is Proofreading Academy?
- Who Should Buy This Course?
- Is the Proofreading Academy Legit?
- What Do You Require to Complete the Course?
- What’s Included in the Proofreading Academy’s Course?
- What is Proofed?
- What is Proofreading Academy’s Final Assessment (Exam)?
- How Much Does The Proofreading Academy Cost?
- Section 2: 7 Reasons to Purchase the Proofreading Academy Course
- Section 3: 3 Reasons Not to Purchase the Proofreading Academy Course
- Which One is Better – Proofreading Academy vs Proofread Anywhere?
- Is the Proofreading Academy Worth it?
- Read Next:
- Pin it for Later:
Section 1: Overview
What is Proofreading Academy?
Proofreading Academy is a digital proofreading and editing training program created by Proofed professionals.
If you don’t know who they are?
This company has been editing and proofreading since 2010. The people behind the course are quite professional and have years of experience in what they do. You can click here to see their entire team.
Their flagship course, “Becoming a Proofreader,” is designed to TRANSFORM students from complete beginners to confident trained professionals within a month.
It is a 15-module course that uses practical tasks to help you build skill step-by-step. You’ll learn how to correct common mistakes, how to work with style guides, and and how to proofread all types of writing, whether creative, business, or academic.
Who Should Buy This Course?
Although the course is suitable for all levels whether beginner or intermediate, the following people will gain the most from it.
- Interested in pursuing a career as a proofreader.
- Looking for a second source of income to supplement their primary income.
- Looking for a way to work from home so that they can leave their 9-5 job.
- Students looking for a way to earn money to cover their expenses.
- A digital nomad traveling the world.
- Interested in brushing up their proofreading skills.
If you fall into any of these categories, this course is definitely for you.
Is the Proofreading Academy Legit?
Yes, Proofreading Academy is a legitimate course because it has been accredited by Continuing Professional Development (CPD). It has mostly positive reviews online and at the time of writing, it has a WHOPPING rating of 4.7/5 based on 326 TrustPilot reviews.
The Proofreading Academy is not a scam out to steal your money.
I say this because if you don’t like their content, they’ll REFUND your money within 14 days of purchase, subject to certain conditions (read the refund section to know more).
They are also willing to offer a three-month payment plan to those who are unable to pay upfront. So, if it wasn’t a legitimate course, I doubt anyone would offer a refund and a monthly payment plan.
All of these points are sufficient to prove that Proofreading Academy is a legitimate course that genuinely cares about its students.
What Do You Require to Complete the Course?
There are only three things you’ll need, and they’re likely to be in everyone’s home.
- Laptop or desktop PC
- A good internet connection.
- Microsoft Word (version 2016 or later)
Please keep in mind that the course contains two Microsoft Word components. As a result, you must have Microsoft Word installed on your computer rather than another word processor.
If you already have it, that’s AWESOME! But if you don’t, you’ll have to pay for it yourself.
What’s Included in the Proofreading Academy Course?
If you’re eager to know what is in store for you, here are the modules taught in the course.
- Module 1: Proofreading and Editing
- Module 2: The Basics of Microsoft Word
- Module 3: Common Spelling Mistakes
- Module 4: Common Grammar Mistakes
- Module 5: Common Punctuation Mistakes
- Module 6: Other Common Errors
- Module 7: Proofreading In Practice: Style
- Module 8: Advanced Formatting in Microsoft Word
- Module 9: Academic Proofreading
- Module 10: Academic Proofreading: Referencing And Citations
- Module 11: Creative Writing And The Publishing Industry
- Module 12: Proofreading Business Writing
- Module 13: Finding Work And The Final Assignment
The course is structured in both text and video format, with examples and images as needed.
At the end of each module, you will have to complete a non-graded assessment. This is a great way to assess your progress and identify your weak points so you can address them before moving forward.
The course can take anywhere between 45 and 50 hours to complete. However, if you devote more time to it each day, you will be able to complete it sooner.
I recommend not rushing things and instead committing to a few hours per day. This is a more efficient way of learning a skill and you’ll be able to make the most out of it.
Here are some more things to expect from this course.
- The course includes mid-module quizzes to test your knowledge. These are not graded, and you can take them as many times as you want.
- There are also end-of-module quizzes to test your knowledge. These quizzes are also not graded and can be taken as many times as you like.
- You can also download the end-of-module exercises and proofread them in Microsoft Word. When you’re finished, download the Proofreading Academy’s version to compare the results.
- If you score 80% or higher on their final assessment, you will be given GUARANTEED work with Proofed. (More on this later.)
- After completing the entire course, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion.
- All of the content is updated on a regular basis, so you can be sure you’re getting the most up-to-date information.
- Whenever you need to discuss a problem related to the course content, you can always chat with a tutor. (I’ll explain in more detail later.)
Now, let’s talk about the final assessment.
What is Proofreading Academy’s Final Assessment (Exam)?
It is the final exam that you must pass after finishing the module. It includes two proofreading tests and one formatting test.
If you pass all three with at least a 70% score, you will be awarded a digital certificate. However, if you score 80% or higher, you will also be given the opportunity to work at Proofed (more on that later).
What I appreciate the most about them is that the tutors provide appropriate feedback after each attempt. So you’ll know what went wrong and what you can do better the next time.
Prior to the test, you will also have the opportunity to participate in tutoring sessions. This will help you a lot in passing the final exam.
Overall, the final assessment is a fantastic opportunity not only to receive a digital certificate and a job at Proofed, but also to put your newly acquired proofreading skills to the test.
What is Proofed?
Proofed is a well-known international network of freelance proofreading businesses and a partner company of Proofreading Academy,
They are currently running three businesses for three different countries.
Among the services they offer are proofreading, editing, and formatting for students and professionals in a wide range of fields.
When you finish the course with an 80% or more score, you can start working with them on smaller documents and work your way up to larger, more lucrative projects.
All the money you earn while working with them are paid via bank transfer at the end of the month.
So, you will not only gain experience but also earn money on the side. As an inexperienced proofreader, this is a FANTASTIC opportunity that many beginners wish for.
What Happens After Joining Proofed?
Before you can begin working with them, you must first complete an online onboarding session. It may take a few days (or even two weeks) for one to become available. So you need to be patient.
After completing the session, you will be on a trial period and have access to Proofed’s queue, where you can begin taking jobs to work on.
The word count will be limited to 750 words for the first 10 copies or so. This means, you need to proofread short copies initially.
Even though they’re in high demand, they don’t show up all that often. As a result, you must accept them as soon as they appear on the job board so that you can quickly reach the limit.
If you complete your trial period successfully, your word count will be increased. This could happen before the first ten jobs as well.
Overall, passing the trial period will take some time, so be patient.
How Much Does The Proofreading Academy Cost?
Proofreading Academy offers a free trial period to help you decide whether the course is right for you. If it serves your purpose, you can proceed with their plans.
Their flagship course, “Becoming a Proofreader” is priced at $399. It used to be $295, but they’ve since added more content.
If you can’t pay at once, you can opt to their multiple interest-free payments available only for the US and UK buyers.
For this, you need to choose Klarna as your checkout option and then select the appropriate plan listed below.
The US buyers can pay in two ways.
- Pay in 4: This is the four interest-free payment plan, in which you must pay $99.75 every two weeks four times.
- 6 monthly payments: Pay $66.50 every month for six months.
The UK buyers can pay in two ways as well.
- Pay in 3: This is the three interest-free payment plan, in which you must pay £99.67 every 30 days for 2 months
- Pay in 30: You can delay paying the full amount of £299 for 30 days. This means you can get access to the course rightaway without even paying a dime. However, you must pay them 30 days later.
Section 2: Eight Reasons to Purchase the Proofreading Academy Course
Now, let’s take a look at some of the advantages you will get from this course.
1. Guaranteed Job Following Course Completion
As discussed before, if you’re able to score 80% or more on their final assessment, you’re given a guaranteed job with Proofed.
Now, no company will give such a fantastic opportunity to a recent graduate.
The fact that they are willing to hire someone who completed their course with higher grades demonstrates how much they BELIEVE in their education system.
They are confident that any student who completes their entire course will be able to handle and complete proofreading assignments with flying colors.
So, if you don’t want to struggle in finding jobs, this is an excellent opportunity.
2. Receive the Certificate of Completion
Before working with you, some clients would like to know your qualifications so they can be confident that their projects are in good hands.
In that case, you can demonstrate your credibility by displaying the Knowadays certificate.
Though skills are most important when it comes to proofreading jobs, a certificate is definitely a great way to make a good first impression.
You can also use this certificate to attract clients by uploading it to your business website or even freelance platforms. This way, you can get more eyeballs than someone who does not have a certificate.
3. Mostly Positive Reviews
When I checked people’s opinions about this course on Reddit and TrustPilot as part of my research, I was mostly overwhelmed with positive feedback.
On Reddit, I came across a few opinions. Even though it’s been around for a while, this is still relevant.
There are more comments like this on Reddit, but they are too long to attach here. So, if you want, you can do your own research.
Talking about TrustPilot, the course has mostly positive reviews, with a few negative ones thrown in for good measure. You can click here to read all the reviews.
To be honest, no course can completely satisfy everyone. Some of them will still have issues. So, ignoring that, I can definitely say that Proofreading Academy has met the expectations of many students.
4. Responsive Support Team
I always think about how much support I’ll get if I make an investment in a course.
Is there email support or, better yet, phone support?
If I can’t find better assistance, I’ll reconsider my decision. That’s because when you enroll in a course, many doubts will arise while completing it.
As a result, you need someone who can clear up all your concerns so you are left with no problems.
Gladly, Proofreading Academy is happy to assist you with their FANTASTIC customer support.
- When you sign up for the course, you’ll get all the contact info via email. So you’ll have their email, phone number, and even live chat support handy. Use them to discuss course-related issues and clear up any confusion.
- If you want to schedule a call, the link in the email will take you directly to a calendar page where you can choose a day and time.
- Can’t decide if the course is worthwhile before buying it? The support team will gladly answer your questions and assist you in making a firm decision.
- The best part is that you can expect a response to your support request within 1-2 days.
- Finally, once you have completed your final assessment, the tutors will provide detailed feedback. This way, you’ll be able to identify your strengths and weaknesses so you can work on it.
Overall, you won’t be disappointed with their support system because they not only provide multiple channels of communication, but they are also supportive and helpful in resolving your issues.
5. Learn to Proofread in Different English Dialects
While other courses teach you how to proofread only American English, Proofreading Academy takes one step ahead.
You will be able to proofread American, British, and Australian English, as well as English from non-native speakers.
You will know the differences between them in accents, pronunciation, and spelling, which will help you in error-free proofreading.
Now, you may be wondering how it can help you.
Well, knowing how to proofread in various English dialects can lead to more job opportunities. You can easily deal with clients from the US, the UK, and Australia and earn more money.
In simple words,
Proofreading in three different English dialects = More job opportunities = More money
6. Learn How to Proofread Different Types of Documents
Proofreaders are exposed to a variety of copies, including academic, creative, and business. There’s a good chance they’ll have to deal with texts written by non-native English speakers as well.
In that case, you must be familiar with such copies in order to deliver your output with 100% accuracy.
Fortunately, Proofreading Academy teaches you all of this in their modules, especially proofreading academic copies. You’ll be able to easily identify, comment on, and correct the most common writing errors in them.
This means, you’ll have more job opportunities because you won’t be restricted to one type of document. As a result, you can earn more money.
Fun Fact: Academic documents and non-native English-speaking documents are two of the biggest markets for proofreaders. So that’s a big win if you learn proofreading from this course!
7. Learn How to Proofread by Using Different Programs
Some clients require the final output in Microsoft Word, Google Docs, or PDF. If you only know how to proofread in one program, you may lose a client who requires the final copy in another program.
That’s why, a good proofreader must be able to proofread in a variety of word processing programs. This means they should be familiar with program shortcuts and certain features in order to complete the tasks quickly.
Gladly, Proofreading Academy is happy to teach you how to proofread using Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and Adobe Acrobat.
- How to use track changes in Microsoft Word.
- How to use the suggesting feature in Google Docs.
- How to use Adobe Acrobat to proofread PDFs.
Using these features, you’ll be able to clearly communicate the changes you’ve made to the client. As a result, clients won’t have to squint their eyes in puzzlement. *Yay, a happy customer!*
8. Receive Refund
Knowadays is also willing to refund your money if you are dissatisfied with their course. However, there are a few conditions you should be aware of beforehand.
- If the course is not accessed within 14 days of purchase, a full refund will be issued, less a $35 (£25) administration fee.
- If the course has been accessed, a refund for the part that hasn’t been accessed will be given, less a $35 (£25) administration fee.
- No refunds will be issued if more than 14 days have passed since the purchase date.
For initiating the refund, you need to contact [email protected]
Section 3: Three Reasons Not to Purchase the Proofreading Academy Course
When it comes to online courses, not everything is positive. The same is true for Proofreading Academy. Here are a few disappointments.
1. No Information on Starting a Proofreading Business.
If you want to learn proofreading and how to start and grow your own online proofreading business, where:
- You have your company website.
- You set your rates.
- You find and deal with clients.
- You promote your business to attract more clients.
Then this course isn’t for you!
Proofreading Academy will only teach you how to proofread various documents in different English dialects so that you can work as a freelance proofreader.
If your ultimate goal is to run your own proofreading business, you should consider investing in a different course, such as Proofread Anywhere! (another great course, btw)
2. Proofed Job Opportunities May Get Saturated
There’s no doubt you’ll get a job at Proofed, but there are a few things you should be aware of beforehand.
You see, as more students join Proofed after completing the course, they will compete to get their hands on a job document before anyone else.
This is due to the job board’s first-come, first-served policy. As a result, you must be quick in selecting jobs, or someone else will.
Furthermore, the work volume varies. As a result, you may see a large number of jobs one day and fewer the next.
So, if you’re buying the course solely to join Proofed, you must know these two factors beforehand.
On the plus side, it will provide you with your first work experience as a beginner. Many newbies struggle to find their first job, which is necessary to start their career. However, in your case, you will not be required to do so.
Working with Proofed will also boost your confidence before you start pitching clients and charging higher fees.
3. No Info on Proofreading Symbols
Proofreading symbols are marks that proofreaders make on paper while proofreading hard copies. They are used to highlight the errors and how a piece of writing can be improved.
Despite the fact that everything is done digitally nowadays, such symbols are rarely used. That’s why Proofreading Academy does not include it on purpose.
However, I believe that including the symbols would have been beneficial for those who want to proofread on hard copies.
So, if symbols are what you’re looking for, this course will let you down.
Which One is Better: Proofreading Academy vs Proofread Anywhere?
You can choose Proofread Anywhere if:
- your sole objective is to learn proofreading and start an online proofreading business.
- you want to join a supportive Facebook community where all of the students can interact, discuss their issues, solve their problems and gain motivation.
- you want access to additional bonus courses.
Whereas, Proofreading Academy is good for you if:
- you want a guaranteed job.
- you want more training in punctuation, grammar, spelling, and so on, as well as how to edit texts for flow, tone, readability, and style
- you want a less expensive course.
Though I have only mentioned a few points, you can learn more in depth by reading my post Knowadays vs Proofread Anywhere.
You can also read my Proofread Anywhere review to learn more about this course.
Is the Proofreading Academy Worth it?
If you’re serious about pursuing a career in proofreading, this course is without a doubt one of the best.
But there is one thing you should be aware of.
Unless and until you put in the effort, no course will transform you into what they promise.
Without a doubt, you will receive all of the necessary knowledge and guidelines to ensure your success. But it all comes down to your level of commitment.
If you’re easily discouraged, don’t waste your money on this course. However, if you value your investment and are willing to commit, the Proofreading Academy is well worth your time.
The decision is yours!
FREE PROOFREADING COURSE
Enroll in a 76-minute workshop and discover some really helpful proofreading insights to start your own online business.
Sign up for this free trial to get a feel of what to expect from the Knowadays “Becoming a Proofreader” course.
- 15 Companies offering proofreading jobs to proofreaders
- 3 Best proofreading course to transform into a professional
PIN IT FOR LATER: